New to the site and starting a new tank wanted to share!

I disagree, most of these fish get 2-3 inches at the biggest, Most of these fish spend months and months in stupid 6inch boxes waiting to be bought, the way the rock work is and how open the tank is, gives them plenty of room. Its not like putting fish that all get 6-8 inches and when they get older and bigger they end up having no room. No matter how big all these fish get they will still be able to move easily. So I dont look at it as being cruel most ppl will buy these fish and put them in a smaller tank or not know how to care for them. At least this way they will have a long happy life and probably get to move in an upgraded tank in the future.

Ya, well good luck with that, clearly you know everything there is to know about how to keep fish happy and healthy. Im sure that they will all live their full lives of 10+ years in there without a hitch.

1in for every 10g of water is the standard rule. Sure I've broken that rule slightly by one fish friend and been fine but that's a small tank withwhat 11-12 fish that's not even cool...... If you want to do that just get sardines they pack in nicely.... I'm sorry I dont mean to flam but i agree with these lady's and gents that's way over stocked. I mean being a 7 year vet at this and all, you would know the science of it. But hay not going to tell you what to do. I'm just saying its not fair to the fish friends.

-Kurt

+1 Hanna, Erin and Waddi

haha not trying to win a debate here, I know from experience that all my fish will live and they will have an awesome full blown reef to enjoy just like they would in the wild, If you think a bunch of 2 inch fish will get stressed out in a 40g tank, with 60 pounds of rock and lots of open room to swim all around the tank then i dont know what to tell you.
But I get what you are saying about overstocking your tank because most ppl dont know how to care for them and a lot of fish die, or they get a bunch of fish and they dont realize that some fish will get a lot bigger then they thought and then they live a cruel life of not being able to turn and swim around.

Well thanks for wishing me good luck, I'm not trying to bash anyone or tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. But with a few years of learning and just going off what every other person told you was right and what you are "supposed" to do, I'm going to do what I've learned over years and years of seeing what works and what doesnt. Like I said earlier I agree with the overstock rule most of the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones opinions and for welcoming me to the site, If you don't agree with me thats fine I'm only putting this thread up for everyone to enjoy and see the process of my tank.

Yellow Assessor-2 inch max
Platinum clown pair-3.5inch max
neon dottyback-3inch max
sunrise dottyback-3inch max
smiths blenny-3.5 inch max
banji cardinal-4inch max
pajama cardinal-4inch max Both cardinals will be moved to a different tank
clown fairy wrasse-5 inch max
mccosker's fairy wrasse-3 inch max
blue star leopard wrasse-4 inch max
All fish are small right now and some will be moved when they get bigger, so I dont really care to hear about how many fish are in the tank.....

Haha haven't lost a single fish they have been in there over 3 weeks now, I know I won't lose anyfish and soon some will be moved around, I think its funny everyone has to put their opinion in hoping and thinking the fish will die. It's a good thing I know what I'm doing and none of these fish will die. But everyone can keep putting their opinions in.

I have been keeping tanks for over 30 years now more then 7 in salt and yes i am sure I would be able to keep them alive for a period also but most every fish wether tropical or salt ( especially in salt) likes to find its own little spot in a tank and when overcrowded leaves the fish with little room to do so and ultimately stresses the fish and leads to their demise. when a tank is setup up most of us look to make the inhabitants in the tank, live a happy long life.... hence the words saltwater enthusiasts..
I do wish you and your fish luck..

Back