New to this, need a few questions answered

Lindsay90

Reefing newb
I am considering purchasing a 50-60 gallon hexagon aquarium off of CL. I have had freshwater aquariums so I know about the cycling and what not, but I do have a few questions.

1.if I choose to have some corals, how necessary is a protein skimmer.
2. It comes with a HOB filter, should I use it? I feel as if I should replace it with a nice canister filter or something.

I'm really nervous about this. I've wanted to start one and have read A LOT but I still want to make sure it's done right.

1.if I choose to have some corals, how necessary is a protein skimmer.

2. It comes with a HOB filter, should I use it? I feel as if I should replace it with a nice canister filter or something.

1. A protein skimmer is not necessary, but they are extremely useful. Live rock will be your bio filtration and regular water changes will help remove the waste and renew the trace elements, but in the long run I would save up and buy a protein skimmer at some point.

2. You can use the HOB filter, best would be to put rubble rock in it as extra bio filtration and maybe run carbon to polish the water. But I would not use a filter pad as they just trap waste and produce nitrates. Do NOT get a canister filter that is a waste of money for a saltwater tank (it is freshwater technology) save that money for a GOOD protein skimmer.

I use a hob filter on my 40... It's really helpful in producing water flow on top of the water.

2. You can use the HOB filter, best would be to put rubble rock in it as extra bio filtration and maybe run carbon to polish the water. But I would not use a filter pad as they just trap waste and produce nitrates. Do NOT get a canister filter that is a waste of money for a saltwater tank (it is freshwater technology) save that money for a GOOD protein skimmer.

I didn't know about the filter pad.... I have a filter pad that has carbon tho so that's why I'm using it. Good to know thanks man.

I agree, go with a protein skimmer. If you have a protein skimmer, you do not need (or want) an HOB or canister filter. Skip the canister filter altogether, even if you do not have a protein skimmer. Canister filters lead to more maintenance and possibly even poorer water quality.

A protein skimmer is not necessary, but it's helpful. If you do not get a protein skimmer, you can usually maintain water quality with just regular water changes on smaller tanks. But the tank size you are talking about would probably be larger than I would recommend just relying on water changes to take care of.

Back