New - wanting some resources for help

scarecrow1f9

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a very used 125 gallon tank with all of the equipment for a salt-water tank. It's all covered in Coral....remains? Needs a cleaning very badly. I'm starting to clean it all today, and this is my inventory so far:

Tank, glass with two VERY large valved inlets/outlets going into what looks like an overflow "basket".

Tons of PVC pipes, broken down into 4-5 main pieces.

A separate smaller tank, maybe 20 gallons or so. Divider down the middle (3 piece) so that water can flow through, but obviously not....something else.

Baldor "Reeflo Dart" sump pump, with long valved pipe/hoses connected.

Magnum 350 filter system

Another much larger canister filter looking object. HUGE

Aqua Medic UV Filter

3 ballast

I'm scrapping the stand, as it was made of some sort of MDF or particle board, I just dont trust it. I'll make a new one this weekend. I'll also need to purchase lights, which I'm sure will be pricey. Other than that, I'm lost. I've kept non-sump freshwater tanks my whole life, but this is all new.

Does anyone have any resources they'd suggest? Do the provided pieces seem typical? What parts are missing? Any help would be really appreciated. I'm looking forward to the project, but I'm clueless. Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

You've got a good setup there but it's quite a bit for a beginner! Start by reading all the articles on this site: https://www.livingreefs.com/new-reefkeeping-f122.html
I'd also suggest a good book or two. You shouldn’t need that Magnum350 if you are running the skimmer and have plenty of live rock in the tank. The live rock and skimmer will be your source of filtration.

Hello and Welcome!

Im not much help putting that stuff together, but there are plenty of articles and threads on here that should give you the answer!

You are going to be so glad that started with a big tank and sump! It will make your life much easier.

howdy and welcome to the site.. :D the [Another much larger canister filter looking object. HUGE) is your protein skimmer.. the cannister filter I wouldnt use other then if you want to run carbon or something of the sort in it..
I agree once together you will be happy you went with a little larger tank.. Oh a little diluted vinegar ( vinegar and water) will go a long way in cleaning things up.. good luck..

Congrats on the nice big tank with all those goodies. I use youtube also for videos of skimmers and sumps and tanks etc because I need a visual to get it into my thick skull.

LOL

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate it!

I purchased the set for a little under $200, I was happy with it, though I couldn't tell you exactly what some of that does.

I ordered the second book on the list btw, waiting for it to come in.

In the meantime, I've looked at like 20 diagrams and videos on sump setups, and they ALL seem to be different. Some have algae, some live rock, some wet/dry, some have balls of some sort, etc. The only constant seems to be the skimmer.

so I've tried my own diagram here. Everyone else has their water coming in on one side, then exiting on another. Mine, for some reason, exits in the middle on the bottom.

2.jpg

Is this correct, or should it be more like this:

1.jpg

Thanks very much for looking, I'll post lots of pics after the stand is completed this weekend!

Amber, What light are using in your tank for the 3 month shot? That's exactly the look I want. I'm wanting a whitish look instead of a blue-ish one. lol.

Back