new watchman goby - hiding

janet

Reefing newb
Hello
I have my very fist marine aquarium and on Saturday I bought my first fish, a lovely watchman goby. However, I haven't seen him since. I think i know where he is, but when do you think he'll come out? I am getting a pistol shrimp to go with him tomorrow, so I hope that will coax him out.
Janet

Hello and welcome to the site, has your tank cycled yet...that's very important. If so, then he's just hiding until he feels more comfortable, if not, then he may be in there sick and/or dying. If you did not go thru a cycle' take him out and return him to the store until your tank is ready, and hold off on the shrimp for now. Give us a little more info on your tank so we can get you going in the right direction.

Yes my tank has cycled and the water is in very good condition.. I am by no means an expert yet, but I have read lots of books and articles on this site and other sites... It has been a huge learning curve, but very satisfying. I'm sure my goby is fine, I'd just like to see him. I'm sure what you say about him being shy until he is comfortable is right, I suppose I'll just have to wait.. He doesn't come out when I put food in there either, I suppose he is eating something?

I have a yellow watchman goby and he likes to hang out in a cave in my live rock. He's not as shy as he was when I first got him (about 3 months ago) but he is very cautious. He won't chase food but waits paitently for a piece to float past him. He protects his little hidey hole quite vigorously and it's funny to watch. If another tank inhabitant comes near him, his fins go up and he opens his mouth as far as he can while strutting around in front of the cave. I don't have a pistol shrimp but I do have a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. The shrimp cleans the goby often and they seem to get along well.

The goby was a good choice for a first fish -- they are generally pretty hardy and tough to kill (even in a new tank)! It's not uncommon for new fish to hide for a few days to a week when you first get them. Continue to try to feed him (only a few pieces of food each day -- you don't want to spoil the water if he's not eating). He will come out when he's more comfortable with his new home.

Another thing to consider is how you acclimated him to your tank when you brought him home. Probably the most common cause of death for new fish is improper acclimation. How did you acclimate him?

Thanks for all your replies... I acclimated him by adding a little bit of my water to the water he was in, every 5 minutes for an hour, and then lifted him in with the net. I left the light off for an hour after... he did pop his head out on Sunday breifly, so I know where he's hiding (if he's still in the same hiding place)..
I have heard the stories of goby's jumping out!! I have a lid on my tank, so there's no chance... I suppose I'#m just impatient to see him.
Thanks for all your messages of welcome. I know I'll find this site very useful.
Janet

My gold head sleeper goby hid under his rock for the first 5 days or so before doing much, now he is out and about nearly 24/7.

I am so happy... Today I saw my goby! On thursday I put in a pistol shrimp, who took to the tank straight away diggin his cave... Today I saw my goby hovering around by the pistol shrimps' cave, and then he just casually swam in there... so they have found each other and have set up home together. I am so happy that I have finally seen my goby alive and well after putting him in there a full week ago and not seeing him since.

My watchmen goby stil hides all the time. He does come out, but if I walk in front of the tank unless I'm feeding the fish then he goes and hides in the rocks. So don't worry, this is normal and once he becomes more comfortable he will probably not hide as much.

Wow, Janet.....your shrimp and goby bonded really fast! I've heard stories of gobies and shrimps not bonding at all. That's awesome. I love it when they work together :) My firefish bonded with my pistol shrimp. Love it.

My yellow watchman goby will go unseen for weeks at a time. At least 5 times in the last 6 months I was assured he was dead :)

Back