New with some questions (photos too)

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Hello, new here and new to the saltwater aquarium hobby. I've always been interested in marine life cause I used to live in Florida and Hawaii and went snorkeling a lot and now have a scuba diving certification Anyways, I just got a tank and some other stuff and I had a couple questions or things I would like comments or opinions on. I am planning on doing a reef tank.

Here's what I got:

55 gallon tank with oak stand and cover:

Dirty:
6136_1140145473099_1511280358_30500754_3421421_n.jpg

Cleaned:

6136_1140145593102_1511280358_30500757_4617865_n.jpg

6136_1140145833108_1511280358_30500763_1045860_n.jpg

Protein Skimmer (coralife super skimmer I think?? Don't know the model/size. Top has cracks see question below):
6136_1140145753106_1511280358_30500761_4473163_n.jpg

2 Power Heads, heater:

6136_1140145873109_1511280358_30500764_5930303_n.jpg

Under gravel filters:

6136_1140145793107_1511280358_30500762_553346_n.jpg

Hang on tank style filter
6136_1140145673104_1511280358_30500759_7479138_n.jpg

I got this whole setup for $285, pretty good deal considering most tank/stand setups this size are more expensive to that and it came with extras.

From what I was told at the fish store here in town, I shouldn't used the under gravel filter with a reef tank setup because I will likely use sand as a substrate which I agree with plus they are old school anyways. However, I asked about using the 2 powerheads to promote water circulation and he told me I shouldn't cause it can keep stuff blown over since they have a very directed stream. But I read an article on about.com that says they should be used (Using Powerheads For Water Circulation In Your Saltwater Aquariums) plus I could always attach something to break up the stream more, it would be a shame for these to go to waste.

When I was washing much of the salt off the protein skimmer, I used some hot water and apparently that caused the collection cup to crack in a couple of places, and then I also dropped it which didn't really help those cracks much. The question here is since the cracks are only in the collection cup and they only leak slightly could I not just seal them with a layer of aquarium safe silicone instead of buying a replacement collection cup?

Another question. I'm guessing I should probably just thow away the old hanging tank filter caused they don't even make it anymore and I've heard that time of filter is not that effective. I would then just buy a nice marinelife canister filter or something. So between a nice canister filter, the powerheads, and the protein skimmer that should provide enough filtering for the tank correct?

The setup also came with lights, but they are just aquarium regular fluorecents. What I thought might be good to do is to initially fill the tank once I get the filter and stuff and set it up with live rock and then after that a couple fish (using the lights I have), then once I can afford the expensive T5 lights, I can add those and start introducing corals. Would this be an allright course?

It came with a tank heater, should I buy a second/backup one especially since this is a semi large tank (large for me at least)?

Finally, the guy at the fish store told me that for reef he wouldn't recommend using tap water due to the heavy metals and possible phosphates in the water (which I know are not good for reefs) but he told me about some type of water they have D something or other (uses some reverse osmosin process), that is like $ 0.50 a gallon. However, that would take so many trips back and forth I dunno if it's really necesarry or not. Most of the books and articles I have read say that tap water is usually fine with proper treatment and conditioning. I suppose I could call the water company to ask them about phosphate levels. What do you think?

Sorry about all the questions :-) Open to any opinions.

That tank cleaned up super nice.
Now for your questions.
Toss the under gravel.There just junk in a reef tank and will just cause problems.

On the powerheads,keep em and use em.You cant have a reef without good water flow.The flow keeps detritus and other waste in suspension so your filtration can remove it.Depending on what kind of powerheads you have,you may end up adding a couple more as you go.
Ditch the HOB filter.
For the skimmer cup,the crack looks like its on the collection part.So just silicone the crack and it should be good to go.It looks like a corallife superskimmer 65.Canister really arent a good idea for a reef tank either.
I suggest to set up a sump under your tank.Then you can get the skimmer and heater out of the display.Plus it'll add volume which adds stability.Even if its just 5 gallons,thats 5 more gallons of forgiveness.
That being said,all you really for a filter is enough live rock and a good skimmer.
And your LFS is right about the water.You really need to use RO/DI.You can get an RO/DI system for around 100 bucks or so.
OH
And welcome to the reef.Were happy to have you.

+1 Yote
Welcome! to the Reef!

• Toss the undergravel and hold off on the canister filter.
  • Powerheads are a MOST for your tank.
  • You should change out the Flourescent bulbs on that fixture if your going to used it before you upgrade.
  • I live in Florida so I don't even use a heater, for the tank of course, until the winter.
  • Just like Yote said, your filter is going to be your Live Rock. Biological filtration is the BEST!
Also, great lookin tank for the price you got it at. Good luck.
Remember, patience is KEY!!!! to your aquarium. Don't get discouraged because you see algae, it's happened to EVERYONE! GOOD LUCK!!!
We're all here for ya if you have any questions. :Cheers:

Wow. Everyone's on the same page.

Throw away the undergravel filter. They are useless for saltwater and will actually end up harming your water quality.

Keep the powerheads. Saltwater tanks need a lot of flow -- more than freshwater.

Throw out the HOB filter. Just like the undergravel filter, this will likely lead to water quality problems.

Do not use tap water. It contains so many bad things, and the additives that you put in to neutralize the chlorine will not remove all the harmful elements in it, like nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals. You can find RODI water at any grocery store, Walmart or fish store. Alternatively, you can buy your own RODI unit and make your own water at home. You can get a decent one for around $100. Check out P U R E W A T E R C L U B.

Why would a canister filter be bad for a reef system? So the protein skimmer I have plus live rock would be enough to filter the tank?

Canister filters are nitrate factories for most of us. There are some people on here that do use them on a regular basis, but most feel they are not worth the trouble. If you do decide to use it then be sure you clean it throughly every week to keep those 'trates in check. I run one occasionally with carbon and a UV light.

I would definitely get yourself a sump or build one yourself. Your protein skimmer will go in that and with your live rock in the display (2 lbs per gallon) you'll be set.

Ok, well then I will probably buy the reverse osmosis filter cause it would be worth saving all the gas plus then I have it from then on.

Ok so this filter setup (skimmer + live rock), this is known as a berlin filter system right? (What Is A Berlin Filtration System and Why It Is Used In A Saltwater Aquarium)

So I would like to initially start with just fish and live rock as I said before since I do not yet have the money for the expensive 6 bulb T5 lights. Would the filtration system you are talking about still work just fine even before I have actual corals?

Also, what is a good way to make sure my skimmer is working correctly before setting this all up. And with the skimmer it has a big pump that attaches to one side, would it not be possible to run tubing versus having the pump sit down in the tank (for aesthetic purposes)?

Ok, well then I will probably buy the reverse osmosis filter cause it would be worth saving all the gas plus then I have it from then on.

Ok so this filter setup (skimmer + live rock), this is known as a berlin filter system right? Yep.Its the Berlin method.(What Is A Berlin Filtration System and Why It Is Used In A Saltwater Aquarium)

So I would like to initially start with just fish and live rock as I said before since I do not yet have the money for the expensive 6 bulb T5 lights. Would the filtration system you are talking about still work just fine even before I have actual corals?Wont be a problem.Its still the best method out there.

Also, what is a good way to make sure my skimmer is working correctly before setting this all up. And with the skimmer it has a big pump that attaches to one side, would it not be possible to run tubing versus having the pump sit down in the tank (for aesthetic purposes)?You'll know the skimmer is working by the black,stinking crud that collects in the cup.The pumps on those skimmers are designed to only be 4" under the waters surface.Any deeper and it wont pull air to make the foam.The problem with a longer tube is the loss of water pressure,which will cut the performance of the skimmer.

Hope that helps.

I guess what I meant with the skimmer question is how can I make sure it is working correctly before filling up the tank and adding live rock.

Also, if I can't afford all 100 lbs. of live rock at once is it ok to buy as much as I can (assuming I don't add fish yet) and then add the fish once I get all 100 or so lbs?

that's what I did. I actually started my tank with only 11lbs of rock and I'm still adding to it 4 months after I first put water in it. The only thing you have to be careful of is to buy cured rock later so you don't cause a second cycle, which could kill/majorly stress whatever livestock you have in the tank at the time.

So with how many pounds of live rock would it be safe to add 2 fish or so considering the fact that I would be using only the live rock and protein skimmer as a filter?

So with how many pounds of live rock would it be safe to add 2 fish or so considering the fact that I would be using only the live rock and protein skimmer as a filter?

1-2 pounds per gallon is best. I prefer the greater 2 pounds per gallon. The more the better, I think.

1-2 pounds per gallon is best. I prefer the greater 2 pounds per gallon. The more the better, I think.

I think he's wondering how little rock he can get away with at the moment, since he can't afford ALL that rock at the moment...eventually he plans to buy the 1-2lbs/gal., but for right now he's hoping to get buy on a "good enough" amount for just two fish.

The reason why I asked, what size fish is because the smaller the fish, the less waste produced, and the less amount of rock you are going to need. I would say, roughly, about 10lbs per small fish should be fine for now; just be sure to keep an eye on your parameters. When you add your first fish (with the 20lbs of rock already cycled) you will see how your system will react to the bioload, which is why their is a 3 week between fish rule. Give your system time to react to the fish, if parameters spike and don't dissapate, then you may need to add more rock. If everything is fine after the 3 weeks, then add the second small fish while keeping an eye on those parameters. Before you add anything else from there, add rock because if you haven't needed it by this point...you will. The other thing to remember when purchasing rock, it's not just an issue of available surface area for bacteria, but it's also about providing homes/hiding places for the fish. If you get two big flat pieces of rock that weigh 20lbs, the fish will have no where to hide and either stress, fight, or both.

Yes kid that is exactly what I was asking. I probably wanna start with 2 percula clownfish. But for the other question how can I make sure the protein skimmer is working correctly "before I set up the tank?"

Also looking ahead to t5 lighting systems? How long of fixture would I need? 48" maybe with a 6 bulb model or could I be fine with less?

Last edited:
Back