New wrasse laying in its side

I got an exquisite wrasse from LA 3 weeks ago. A few hours ago I saw him laying on his side in a pvc pipe (he's in QT). He seems to be breathing a little fast. I put food in and he did start swimming around but spit out the food and went back in the pipe. Until now I thought he was pretty healthy except for a mark on his nose, which from what I've read could be scales rubbed off from trying to escape the shipping bag. But he has been eating alright, but only mysis and nothing else and he only eats the small pieces. He's only 2" long. Two days ago I started adding Cupramine, at 1/5 of the full strenth each day. So I added 2/5 of the total concentration. Because of how he is acting I just did a 30% water change and put a Polyfilter in the filter to take the Cupramine out of the water. But I wonder if I overreacted - do wrasses lay on their side sometimes? I figure it's normal at night, and maybe I just didn't notice him doing this during the day and I am at work usually during the day. Now he's swimming around again, but I still think it looks like he's breathing fast but maybe that's just how fairy wrasses look because of their "wings" fluttering?

He's swimming around now and even ate a little. I guess I can't use Cupramine on this one. Unless its a coincidence that he looks better since I removed the Cupramine. I guess I will try hypo instead. Or Paraguard.

Some wrasses bury themselves in the sand when they feel threatened or scared. I assume you have no sand in the QT? (As it should be). If he's one of these types then maybe laying in the PVC pipe is his only option.

QT can be tricky with some fish.

Well I'm glad I took the Cupramine out. I never had a wrasse before but the way he was laying flat on his side, not in a hiding type position, more like a sick position, just didn't look normal to me. He was laying with half his body hanging out of the pipe and didn't react to me coming by the tank. I think I will try a different ich treatment on him later on (this is just preventative) but for now maybe just make sure he's eating and healthy for a few weeks in the QT. Unless wrasses just can't be happy in the QT environment and then maybe I should hurry up with treatment so he can get into the DT.

Yes I think I will try hypo. He still hasn't come out this morning. He was swimming around last night and eating so I was confident he would make it. Now I'm not so sure because he's laying on his side again in the tube. If he dies I won't really know if it was the Cupramine or not, because he looked kind of weak since I got him, but I will still feel bad if maybe it was my fault for using it.

Back