New Yellow Tang Fish stress??

SYNY5TER

Reefing newb
Hi new to the forums!!

today i just went to LFS just to look around. i said to myself i wouldnt buy anything but unless if i find a really good price.

arriving there i saw that all of their aquariums were crap. each saltwater tank was about 5 gallons on each section. in my mind im definitely not getting a fish cuz clowns, tangs, triggers etc were all in a 5 gallon tank.

so i looked at yellow tangs cuz i was gonna pick one up in the future. it was about 3-5 inches long and it was marked 30 bucks. all around my area its about 40-50 dollars average. so i couldnt resist and i bought one.

before i bought it i made sure if it was healthy. it looked really really healthy. good stomach and yellow as hell. i asked the salesman to feed it. so he fed it and the fish was going crazy eating everything.. so i was satisfied and bought it..

when i bought it i was about to look around some more but the salesman told me to take it home right away cuz he just ate and he threw up because all that stress.

so i rushed home and when i took it out it turned white and there were white lateral stripes on it. i kno its stressed. just to make sure if its ok cuz since hes in a new tank. will he be in less stress by the afternoon tomorrow?

i kno that he would be same in the mornning cuz i read that as soon as u turn on the light he will be faded. i added a lettuce just incase for his nutrients.

plz reply bak..

thanks sorri for the long essay.

new update. he/she just threw up again. i just saw a bunch of fish flakes flying everywhere. ive read that it could be eating too fast. hes very active too..

could this be it??

Fish don't throw up.They cram their mouths so full of food that they can't swallow it all,so they spit some of it out.It's a normal reaction to being over crowded.

thanks for the reply guys. hes eating fine and eating his veggies. i do hav frozen blood worms but havent feed him yet with those. in the mornning when i woke up he was yellow but still a lil pale. and when i came bak home from work at lik 9ish hes bak to same color pale.

could this be due to a new tank??

Personally, i think 75 is too small for any tang as well. The yellow, bristletooth, and kole tangs could go in a 90 gal, but they wont be able to live in there forever. If you really want to keep tangs, you need a 6 ft long tank (common size for this a 125 gal). 4 ft just isnt enough room for these fish.

Its like keeping a pack of wolves in your garage or even your backyard. Yes they will fit, yes they will have room to move around its not nearly enough for them to stay happy and healthy.

I would also add that lettuce is not what you should be feeding for veggies, I would go out and get some sort of seaweed or nori for the tang as well

Back