newb from DC with questions and pictures!

Welcome to the site! Nice pictures, we love pictures! I think most people have an RO/DI unit, compared to the price of a stocked aquarium they are a small price to pay for very clean water. Best of luck on your tanks!

I found that my overflow ended up handling far fewer gallons than advertised, so you might want to go with the larger one. Plus if you upgrade then you dont need to rebuy it. But that company is of a much high quality than what I have, so it might actually move the water its advertised to do so.

Some of the best skimmers you can buy are the reef octopus skimmers. I have also heard good things about they h(somthing?!?!?!) bubble skimmers.

well unfortunately, doesn't look like i have room for a HOB overflow, even their slim design won't fit.

looks like i'm stuck with my canister filter :(

is there no way to hook up a skimmer underneath my tank with a siphon hose and outlet hose going from the skimmer to corresponding sides of the tank?

is there no skimmer designed like this?

is a HOB overflow the only way to get water to a sump when one doesn't have a tank with holes already drilled?

this is what i get for trying to have a unique tank in-wall setup...no fun.

i'm going to look tomorrow at what options i have for creating more room around the sides of the tank without reducing the structural integrity of my base and platform and framing job.

thanks for your ideas and help.

You might be able to make a custom overflow that will fit on the side of your tank, but im not sure if there are any inline skimmers sadly. Another option that does wonders for filtration are algae scrubbers and one might work a little better with your set up.

https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html

https://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

that looks like a great idea but this still requires an overflow from what i'm reading and seeing which i don't have room for.

i guess i would have to see about building a custom one, huh?

or maybe i could use a pump to siphon water from the top four gallons of the tank, and then have a return pump in the bucket with a valve for adjustment to match the incoming flow and have it return to the top of the tank so if the power goes out i can't flood the system?

Last edited:
that looks like a great idea but this still requires an overflow from what i'm reading and seeing which i don't have room for.

i guess i would have to see about building a custom one, huh?

or maybe i could use a pump to siphon water from the top four gallons of the tank, and then have a return pump in the bucket with a valve for adjustment to match the incoming flow and have it return to the top of the tank so if the power goes out i can't flood the system?

IMHO a good fuge with cheato and strong 5000K light is just as good as an algae scrubber and less complicated.

IMHO a good fuge with cheato and strong 5000K light is just as good as an algae scrubber and less complicated.

from what i've been reading, i would agree. what we are trying to figure out or what i am looking for assistance with is the fact that i have minimal clearance for anything on the sides of my tank, hence i can't have a fuge as i can't have a sump without an overflow box, apparently. so there is no way to have a fuge thus far.

the only other thing i thought of is that this algae scrubber is small enough that i may be able to build something ABOVE my tank and have a pump, push water to the scrubber and then do a gravity drain into my tank.

this isn't ideal, but seemingly the only way i've thought of to get something other than my canister filter to work with my setup.

you guys were holding out on me, haha!

i discovered the PVC DIY overflow last night ...

overflow1.jpg

this is awesome, it will have have more than enough flow with 1-1.5" tubing, it will fit in the really small area i have to work with and then i can have it drain under my tank and i can build my algae scrubber! really excited! time for a build journal, haha!

thanks guys!

Just be careful small fish can fit through that egg crate still,and awesome! good luck
oh, that was just a sample photo i found, for reference. i know you folks don't know me yet, but i'm quite meticulous and proper in everything i do, and that assembly in the photo and finish just would not cut it. i got some nice ideas for this piece, parts should be arriving soon!

Back