Newb incoming...

also would it be reasonable to start my cycle and get it over with before i put my live sand and rock in? if so, whats the best way?

You could always use the canister as a return pump.The inlet inside the sump and the outlet going to the display.

You will want the beneficial bacteria to colonize the live rock and sand.The live rock and sand will be your main biological filter so add it all the start.

thanks, all the people here are so helpful, i even have it setup where my cell phone tells me when someone replies :)

Drilling glass (Actually you grinding a groove through the glass in the shape of a circle is very simple and cheap to boot. A bit will run you about $15 with priority postage (glass-holes.com or diamondking both offer cheap quick service, Diamond Kings uses only PayPal though). Other than that you only need a little play dough to make a little dam around your hole to keep the bit cool and to flush the ground glass away from the bit while you are using it. You can find recipes for making play dough on the inter net (oil, flour, salt, water and cream of tartur). Put a bulkhead in the hole and pipe your overflow down to the sump. It is a little more involved than this, but you should get the idea. There are thing you do to lessen water noise and fitting to put inside of tank to skim the water etc.. However, if you can drive nails or use a screw driver then you can probably easily put nice round holes in a glass tank. Just forget about tank bottom glass on nearly all tanks above 33 gallon as they have tempered glass which even glass shops will not drill for you. If your really a neat freak you can drill holes for return lines, put in bulkheads and use a Loc-line connector with a direction adjustable nozzle(s). No over the top of the tank lines, fittings etc. Bulkhead overflows are a little more work than hang on back overflows with siphons but much less prone to problems.

Back