Newb just getting started

Daddio

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I've been doing alot of research on your site for awhile now. After reading your comments I can tell that everyone on here enjoys this hobby and is willing to pass their experiences on either good or bad to newbies like me.

I was given a 110G with LR, Canister filters and UV Sterilizers. So far I have bought 60 lbs of live sand, 2-150W 14K Coralife HD tank mounts and 2-Koralia 1400. I've had it set up for about a week now. It was previously setup so I brought back as much of the saltwater as possible. Put the LR in the saltwater. Added RO water to fill.

Yesterday, I took a water sample to the LFS and found I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 40ppm Nitrate, PH was good. They suggested a 30G water change and add two cups of salt as my salinity was low. I also cleaned the canister filters.

I guess my next steps are to wait for a few days to see what the nitrate level is. My question is what do you guys feel my next steps s/b ? Get fish or CUC? I'm new to the hobbie and need your guys advice. If there is anything else mechanical for my tank please let me know. Eventually I would like to have corals and a stress free piece of the ocean. I will try to send a picture of my tank as it sits now.

Attachments

• Tank 09-07-11_01.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Tank 09-07-11_02.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Tank 09-07-11_03.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 287
Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you're on your way to a great set up. As the lfs has suggested, now is a good time to do a nice water change. You can now start to add a small cuc, and even add a fish or two, but first, do the water change to bring those nitrates down some. Also, eventually you'll wasn't to remove that canister filter, they can cause more harm than good if you don't clean it every other day, which will lead to high nitrates also. :)

Thanks Smitty, glad to be aboard. I did do a 30 Gallon water change and cleaned the canisters last night. Hopefully this will bring down the nitrates.

What type of cleanup crew would you suggest? I want to eventually have corals so would snails be the way to go? If so what kind? I was thinking a couple of Cerith, Astraea, and Nassarius. Do I need to have green algae present for the CUC to survive?

Eventually I want to get rid of the canisters however they are almost new and seem to be working. I spent my budget so far on the sand, lights, circulation pumps and RO water but I hear what you're saying. By the way I also ordered an RO system from Bulk Reef yesterday. I thought it would save me money in the long run as my LFS charges .84 a gallon.

Thank you for helping this newb out!

Hello and Welcome!

They have got you covered! I would also suggest getting a protein skimmer when you can, it will be for more helpful than the canister filter. When you do start looking for a skimmer you are going to want one that is rated for twice your water volume and be wary of cheap skimmers. Some great skimmers for the money are the reef octopus skimmers and hydro bubble skimmers.

Thanks little_fish!

Wow, I knew this forum was the one to be associated with. I didn't think I would get responses so quickly. A protein skimmer will be my next big purchase when funds permit or my wife permits it. :D

Back