Newb

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
hey everyone, I have been doing fresh water tanks for awhile now but really want to do a salt water

I have a 30G so far with a 300G capacity canister filter, two Fluval powerheads, 65G protein skimmer and heater.

I have my salinity at 1.022 as I am onlt looking to do a fish only as of right now, waiting on live rock to start the cycle process.

I am breaking in the skimmer as of right now and it's a pain in the butt, I have a ton of microbubbles

Hello, most people dont like canister filters because they can be a pain in the butt to keep clean enough for good water quality. I ran one for several years just cleaned it weekly. Anything that can not be cleaned weekly can become a nitrate factory. Not a huge issue if you are doing a FOWLR but when you start adding corals it will be. If you have the space look into adding a sump system. They are not as scary as most people think. I was afraid of them for a long time and kick myself for not doing one sooner.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Nice to have you aboard....stick around we have some nice people here....:Cheers:

I don't plan on adding corals for awhile...when I do, I will be adding a sump system

I wanted to start out with a FOWLR to get the swing of things, I am going to try and put live rock rubble in the canister to help

I am a stay at home wife, so cleaning it won't be a problem

So you have a very hard job actually...especial if there are kids around. A FOWLR is a great way to get your feet wet. I ran one for 10 years, then started noticing all the corals...Cha Ching...but its fun...

Its all good....more time for the tank....what are you looking at stock wise for fish?

not too many...def a clean up crew

prob 2 clowns, pink spotted gobie and maybe a fire fish

Last edited:
Tangs need big tanks..125 or bigger...Back in the dark ages before I even had a computer I had a yellow in a 40...was fine for a year...but as he grew he got mean. Those nice barbs are wicked weapons...he gutted his tank mates...The other fish should be ok though...Look at this link for tank sizes needed...A blue should really be in a 180 Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Good idea...pretty much you are stuck in the 10 gallon a fish rule...3 max 4 more would be really pushing it...BTW fire fish are jumpers...do you have some sort of top...

yes I have a top but that's good to know lol...I really only want 2 fish for about a year and then maybe get another

I eventually want to upgrade to a 75 or 100 gallon, I am just hoping not to kill anything lol

Well we all dont want to kill anything...well there was this hitch hiker crab that was eating my corals that got stabbed to death....but I digress...Salt tanks are hard...you will have deaths, it happens and we all get a little sad about it..75 or a 100 is a nice size...My next tank I am gonna go all out and go 200 plus...I want the cool fish...Tangs tangs and more tangs...opps sorry...Right now I have a 45 mixed reef...best tank I have done to date.

We are all here to help and live vicariously in other peoples tanks that we cant afford...lol

So I ditched my Coralife 65G protein skimmer, didn't realize how crappy they are until after I bought it

I just bought a Reef Octopus BH1000

Back