Newbee

joeyv

Reefing newb
hey guys, my name is Joe and i am looking at getting into the saltwater scene. i have done freshwater for a few years but saltwater systems amaze me and i want to get started into the hobby.

i have been reading(The Conscientious Marine Aquarist) and researching every chance i get. i have a lot of questions and hopefully everyone can help.

i think i am going with a acrylic tank, tenecor, what do you think?
i was also looking at the Lifereef Berlin system with a refugium, and one used one, or anyone know anything about that product? i just want the best for the fish and need a little help before i jump into this hobby.

thanks everyone!!

joeyv said:
hey guys, my name is Joe and i am looking at getting into the saltwater scene. i have done freshwater for a few years but saltwater systems amaze me and i want to get started into the hobby.

i have been reading(The Conscientious Marine Aquarist) and researching every chance i get. i have a lot of questions and hopefully everyone can help.

i think i am going with a acrylic tank, tenecor, what do you think?
i was also looking at the Lifereef Berlin system with a refugium, and one used one, or anyone know anything about that product? i just want the best for the fish and need a little help before i jump into this hobby.

thanks everyone!!

hello, welcome to the addiction! acrylic are lighter and i believe a little less expensive but can scratch easier, it usually comes down to personal preference.

From what I've heard, acrylics are amazingly clear, but scratch like crazy. Which of course would ruin the view...I was looking at getting acrylic, but went with glass.

Acrylic is lighter...but I doubt it's any cheaper, I've seen 29 gallon acrylics for $200.00, which seems WAY more than a glass of the same size. Ultimately, its your choice buddy.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!
Nothing to add really that hasn't been said about acrylic tanks.
I've seen the Lifereef systems on another site,very sweet and expensive too.

Conscientious Marine Aquarist,good book btw.

Welcome to the group. I've used acrylic before in reptile enclosures - while it was nice to have a lighter tank - that's not really a benefit when dealing with fish tanks.

Also - Acrylic's are limited in size as they cannot hold as much weight as glass - and you are going to be putting a lot of weight on that tank!

Sorry for double posting, but I just remembered....
If ya want some extra stuff to read for your research there are tons of helpful articles here on the site. Lots of good info in them!!!!!

Hi and welcome to the reef,every body else has done covered your question pretty good.
Just be sure to post any questions,post pics,and enjoy the site.

yeah thanks for all the help everyone, i need it ha. i do have a lot of questions and hope to get them answered but everyone is a great help i will be posting soon. thanks

Back