Newbie 14 gallon Bio cube

liquidattitude

Reefing newb
Hello all,
I was told i need to start a thread on our tank and our progress as we learn what we are doing and how we set the tank up.
Here is picture of our tank. All that is in the tank is 20lbs of sand and 14lbs of Live rock. A friend with an established tank just brought us some live sand to add to ours and a sponge full of live bacteria to help us along.
Thanks in advance for suggestions and assistance.

Attachments

• OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA_0002.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA_0002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,869
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA_0001.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA_0001.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,502
yep! the live rock and live sand have bacteria on them, but you need to make sure you have enough to support fish. If you are lucky and already have lots of bacteria on your rocks and sand, you should have a short cycle.

Little fish, I went to the lfs to get some lr the other day and I asked the guy about the shrimp thing and he said don't do that because it will throw my phosphates out of whack. Now I don't know what to do.

ok- Little fish....raw, shrimp away.... so do i leave it there until it disintegrates? I only put one fatty shrimp in for 13.2 gallons. Is that enough to kick it into high gear? Hope so I would like to be at a point to add a fish sometime mid July.
The adventure begins...
Kat

Thanks Kelz88. Should i be concerned at all about the number of the (white -5 legs-dot for a body) creatures that i am seeing? I turned on the light this morning and the rocks had about 20 of them. They scurried off into holes. I think little fish said they may be some kind of star(brittle?). Also i see something on the back of one of the rocks that i hope is something good. I will send pictures. Have a great day!

little over 10 hours ago
Pre shrimp readings:
Temp:77
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20ppm

Current readings:
Temp 77
Ammonia:.50
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:.40 are we cycling? do i remove the shrimp now? or wait? till when?
Sorry for all the ?? first time for all this....really excited

Attachments

• P6070010.jpg
    P6070010.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
is this something good? just spotted it today, also i have a plethora of star ?? somethings

Attachments

• P6070014.jpg
    P6070014.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 499
  • P6070015.jpg
    P6070015.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 591
Back