Newbie 14 gallon Bio cube

Get 2 hermits. Load your tank with nassarius snails, and certh snails. The snails are better cleaners than the hermits. However, in a couple instances, hermits work out better. I hate hermits because they more often than not, move frags or knock them around. However, I do have a couple, and only a couple in my 120.

So do you count on your fish dying Spongy?

And the nass snails, bristle worms and other things in the tank will do more work cleaning up a body than the hermits. But, you should try and remove dead fish if you can, unless they are on the small side.

So do you count on your fish dying Spongy?

And the nass snails, bristle worms and other things in the tank will do more work cleaning up a body than the hermits. But, you should try and remove dead fish if you can, unless they are on the small side.

no I was just thinking about it because I went to my LFS and that happened,

poor blenny R.I.P :death:

I dont have a problem with your opinion, I was correcting your misinformation

This is not true:

How is this not true? :shock: It IS what happens. Hermits grow. As a result needing new homes. Shells are their homes, therefore killing a snail for it's new home. If the shell doesn't work, they move on and find a new one. Some just kill.

Last edited:
Everyone kiss and make up! :Cheers: My new pets are, 5 turbo snails(largish). I did agree to 2 tiny scarlet reef crabs. To hopefully avoid any unpleasantness, i got a handful of extra shells too. My husband was hell bent on the crabs even after I told him about the possible down side. He promised that we would take them out if our snails started disappearing.

I have them floating in the tank. Is that the best was to acclimate?? I read somewhere to quarantine for a couple of days, rinse with RO water before introducing after they have sat floating for an hour, drip some of the tank water 1/4 at a time every 15 min.....
Can anyone tell me the BEST method....for a newbie?

Kat

You cant really QT them unless you have a whole other tank set up, and there isnt much point in QTing inverts.

You should either add a little bit of tank water every 15 minutes, or set up a drip line where you get a couple of drops a second. Then slowly acclimate over the course of few hours. Then float the bags or whatever they are in the tank water for a half hour so the temperature is the same, and then place in the tank!

All is well, now I know why the call theses snails turbo .....they were quite busy last night. Later today we will do our weekly water change. Going to roll with no fish until mid July. Had a really sad experience...guy my husband works with was having a garage sale. Come to find out he is selling his 14 gal Bio cube with live rock, sand and critters...my husband wants larger, but says....let's get it for back up, quarantine or future fragging...we walk in and my heart sank. Silence, tank isn't running...over run with gunk. Starfish on the glass here and there.....there are what look like bugs in the water. We immediately start plugging in stuff... Nothing is working. The light switches in the hood are broken. I ask why it isn't running and he says he just unplugged it a month ago. How do people do that? I was so pissed off at this guy, there was no way I was buying anything from him.

All is well, now I know why the call theses snails turbo .....they were quite busy last night. Later today we will do our weekly water change. Going to roll with no fish until mid July. Had a really sad experience...guy my husband works with was having a garage sale. Come to find out he is selling his 14 gal Bio cube with live rock, sand and critters...my husband wants larger, but says....let's get it for back up, quarantine or future fragging...we walk in and my heart sank. Silence, tank isn't running...over run with gunk. Starfish on the glass here and there.....there are what look like bugs in the water. We immediately start plugging in stuff... Nothing is working. The light switches in the hood are broken. I ask why it isn't running and he says he just unplugged it a month ago. How do people do that? I was so pissed off at this guy, there was no way I was buying anything from him.

That is so sad :( Hopefully he took the fish back before he did that.

We started looking at corals that we would like to have.....our LFS is a dive. Little Fish suggested toadstools, leathers, mushrooms, zoas, xenia. I saw someone on this site is selling frags? is that a good way to start? I see there are some recommended websites for ordering online....Opinions?
Thank you all for your time,
Kat

frags are a great way to start, but I would suggest looking locally. There might be a local reefing club or even cragslist. That will be a cheaper option because you dont have to deal with the shipping fees and other than high end zoas, i dont anyone who is selling on this site.

these are my fav zoas!
japanese-coral-export-420x293.jpg

Back