Newbie and a question

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't answer your other question earlier, yes, you can use regular vinegar. Looks like you already cleaned up your tank though, I don't know if you used any vinegar, but it's a mild acid and will eat through some of the haze and cloudiness if there's any left.

You can mix some in a spray bottle with water and keep it around with a towel, to keep your glass clean. (no matter how hard you try, you'll get water dripping down your glass every time you acclimate a fish/coral or put your hands in the tank for maintenance). :Cheers:

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't answer your other question earlier, yes, you can use regular vinegar. Looks like you already cleaned up your tank though, I don't know if you used any vinegar, but it's a mild acid and will eat through some of the haze and cloudiness if there's any left.

You can mix some in a spray bottle with water and keep it around with a towel, to keep your glass clean. (no matter how hard you try, you'll get water dripping down your glass every time you acclimate a fish/coral or put your hands in the tank for maintenance). :Cheers:
I love viniger, I use it on EVERYTHING because it cuts through the grease grime and hard water buildup fantastically.

If you would like REALLY good results, use the vinegar solution and newspaper to clean the tank outside. Does better than anything I know

Thats looking a lot better now!! :D
The reason you need that amount of rock is that its going to be your natural "filter", rule of thumb is about 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon.

Thanks!! hmm that is interesting. well looks like I have plenty of rock to choose from.
I read that when I begin the cycle of my tank I can't put anything in until all the tests are at 0.

If you would like REALLY good results, use the vinegar solution and newspaper to clean the tank outside. Does better than anything I know

I'll be sure to do that.

As your opinion guys, I read that I should get possibly about 4 or 5 fish depending on what I'd like, what do you guys think?

What I'd like as fish so far:
Green Mandarin
Blue Spotted Jaw Fish (but idk it's semi aggressive)
Purple fire fish

I would like color with the minimum I have to get.

you pretty much picked 2 fish that are not only the most beautiful but near impossible to keep alive for a long period of time. For the mandarin your tank needs to be well established and full of copepods. That jawfish is awsome. There is a recent post about them after one died. In order to have a happy healthy jawfish you should have at least 8 inches of sand and ensure it develops a nice little burrow for itself other wise it stresses. I would start with some other fish for now.

I would consider a low cost damsel until your tank is nice a stable for a few weeks then consider a firefish. I like long nose hawks, too. It sounds like you're into expensive fish. Would you consider aggresive fish? you could probably keep a warty frogfish and maybe a leaf scorpion. some of my favorites. they just kinda sit there but they are really cool.

I would consider a low cost damsel until your tank is nice a stable for a few weeks then consider a firefish. I like long nose hawks, too. It sounds like you're into expensive fish. Would you consider aggresive fish? you could probably keep a warty frogfish and maybe a leaf scorpion. some of my favorites. they just kinda sit there but they are really cool.
Sorry I would say NO WAY to the damsel. They are little friggin Hitlers in your tank. Those things will get bigger, they will get faster and they will get MEAN! Still go with a low cost fish, however if your levels are stable and remain that way get something else that will be peaceful towards its tank mates. A lot of people have had to tear down their entire aquascape, remove it and then remove the fish because you just cant get at them otherwise.
And aggressive fish (if thats what you are going for but I have a feeling you were browsing and saw some real beauties in your hunt) are just that...aggressive! If you wanted to go that way fill your tank with coral and get something super awesome like a Mantis!

the tank is looking much better...:D
I think you are looking at more like 3 fish in the tank , remember rule of thumb is one small fish per 10 gallons of water in the tank.. but that doesnt include snails, crabs, shrimp, corals etc...and i agree I would pick something cheaper for the first...a good cleanup crew is something I would get at the end of the cycle first...ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home ,,he is a sponsor here tell him your tank and he will design a nice crew for you.. look under sponsor offers he runs alot of deals....

yea i forgot to mention that you'll bring the damsel back or give him to someone else when your ready for new fish, but like the other said maybe just start with something easier to catch. Also, If you go aggressive you can't have a shrimp, but the fish I mentioned are fine for coral.

My theory is the beautiful ones are gonna cost and that's what I was looking at. I want aggressive fish but not in a tank this size. When I get my 75g going I want a Fu Man Chu lion fish, a zebra eel, and a dog face puffer. I figured since I can't have reef with these types of fish (which are really the main fish I want bad enough) I might as well get reef and peaceful fish in the nano to start with. What kills me is that if I did in fact keep this 350g I would get Epaulette shark or bamboo shark... but that won't probably happen until years down the line.

And aggressive fish (if thats what you are going for but I have a feeling you were browsing and saw some real beauties in your hunt) are just that...aggressive! If you wanted to go that way fill your tank with coral and get something super awesome like a Mantis!

I am looking for beauties for my tank :) I'll be sure to look into a Mantis. :^:

I think you are looking at more like 3 fish in the tank , remember rule of thumb is one small fish per 10 gallons of water in the tank.. but that doesnt include snails, crabs, shrimp, corals etc...and i agree I would pick something cheaper for the first...a good cleanup crew is something I would get at the end of the cycle first...ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home ,,he is a sponsor here tell him your tank and he will design a nice crew for you.. look under sponsor offers he runs alot of deals....

That sounds great thank you! I read that the first thing I should get was a clean up crew.

Back