Newbie as of yesterday. So many acronyms.

Jordan

Reefing newb
I purchased my 1st 29 gallon saltwater tank yesterday. My boss has a 75 gallon and has lent me all of his books and am making my way through them. It seems that forums are much "quicker" at finding information vs reading pages upon pages of the author's thoughts until they get to the one paragraph of actual content. I am struggling with all of the acronyms. I have done a google search on many of them with success, but there are many that a google search does not easily find. Is there some sort of acronym dictionary around here anywhere? I have about a million other questions, but I figure a few hours of perusing the forums should answer quite a few of them.

Note: That danged dancing banana in the "smilies" section off to the right of typing this post has made certain that "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" has fully ingrained itself into my head for the 1st time in years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuqseAQYzAI]Family Guy PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Couldn't resist :D

Welcome to the site! Just ask any questions you want.

I could see what was in that video. I knew I did not want to hear it. I clicked it anyway. No willpower.

I am worried about my rockscaping collapsing. It seems pretty stable, but I have read horror stories of them taking out a tank.They are not precariously perched or anything, but it isn't like they are perfectly stuck together like legos.

I have a fear of that too Jordan. Try getting some water potable putty at Home Depot in the plumbing section. I used that for some structures and then I used zipties as Erin recommended.
And, welcome to the site!

Welcome! I'm a total newbie to aquariums too and have only been here about a week, but this site is wonderful! You'll learn things quickly here even if it seems overwhelming now!! And questions are always welcome :)

when you set your tank up, did you put the rocks directly on the bottom, or did you fill it with sand first? If the rocks are on the bottom of the glass you can use zip ties or epoxy to hold them in place. If they are on top of the sand, keep in mind that the sand in our tanks slowly dissolves, and can also be moved around by sand sifting critters. Try and make sure the rocks are directly on the bottom of the tank

when you set your tank up, did you put the rocks directly on the bottom, or did you fill it with sand first? If the rocks are on the bottom of the glass you can use zip ties or epoxy to hold them in place. If they are on top of the sand, keep in mind that the sand in our tanks slowly dissolves, and can also be moved around by sand sifting critters. Try and make sure the rocks are directly on the bottom of the tank

The rock is on the sand, not on the bottom of the tank. I would have thought that all of that weight sitting on small area of glass would have been bad for the glass vs distributed weight via putting on sand. I would say my heaviest piece of rock is 9lbs. What are the odds of an avalanche with a 9lb rock breaking the glass? Although, the two 9lb rocks are both serving as a base. My largest rock that is up high is ~5lbs.

Back