Newbie!Can someone Explain A sump with a protein skimmer?

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
Im wondering if someone could explain a sump to me.One with a protein skimmer in it?What exactly does it do, and how it works.I found plans on how to build one,but doesn't explain how its suppose to work.Does it run all the time?I know everthing you need for one,just dont know how its suppose to work.

If you search this forum and or the internet you will find a lot of info on this, I am somewhat new but I will tell you what I have found in my research. A sump is used for several reasons

• Bigger volume of water is easier to maintain due to mistakes not having as much impact on the display tanks (Diluted so to speak)
  • It is used for a place to house some of you equipment (heater, skimmer, etc…)so that it is not an eye sore in the display tank and easier to get to.
  • You could also chose to create a refuge in you sump which is used for several purposes (Basically a big bio-filter)
    • A place to keep macro alga which help in a number a ways such a helping with Nitrates and oxygenation
    • Place to keep hurt fish and inverts

There is a lot more to it but this is a VERY brief description, like I said just do a search and you will find all kinds of info..

A sump is basically a second tank that is connected to your main tank. Water is moved from the main tank to the sump, and pumped back up to the main tank. The sump is used to hold all your equipment (skimmer, heater, etc) so that the equipment doesn't have to hang off the back of the main tank. This makes your tank look much nicer!

Like Mo said, a sump also increases the total volume of your tank. So if you have a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, your total system volume is 75 gallons. This means that waste from your fish will be diluted out more. So having a sump increases your water quality.

Like Mo also said, you can use a section of the sump to keep macroalgae, which take up nutrients from the water that would otherwise fuel nuisance algae blooms in your main tank.

not much more that i could say about sumps. except this ...

they are also a great place to run a remote deep sand bed (if you dont like the look of a DSB in your display), and extra live rock that you dont have room for in your tank. i personally run 2 18" RDSB's and 100#'s of LR in my sump (100g). the RDSB's and LR give you extra biological filtration without overcrowding your tank.

So you have only one pump?Return pump?So its constantly cycling water through the two tanks?Isn't that dangerous ,What if the the pump fails?This is something i would like to do.The heater and skimmer is a eye sore. Especially with a 50 gallon tank.I have a 10 Gallon tank just sitting in my basement and i was already planing to get a better skimmer.Also taking Bifferwines advice and getting about 50 Lbs more of liverock.So it makes since to do away with all that eye sore in a very limited size tank.

I have seen a sump kit that includes The sump,overflow tank,bio balls,skimmer and a couple more items for about $249.00.But i already have that 10 Gallon tank.Any advice

the sump should not be completely full. this way ... if the pump fails or the power goes out the sump will contain the overflowing water from the tank. IMHO, a 10g is to small for a sump ... i would use nothing less than a 20g.

also, when the power goes off or the pump is manually shut the overflow box will stop draining. it can only drain what is being pushed to it. that's the beauty of an overflow box, they keep you're floor dry.

I would go ahead and make your own. It's a lot cheaper. All you need is a tank, plexi glass, and silicone to make one. I'll be making one when I upgrade.

Back