Newbie, First post and question ?? About RO/DI

DJMCHANEY

Reefing newb
Hello everyone

This is the first forum for reefs I have joined and this is my very first post. I have decided to get into reefing and have acquired a 90 gallon tank for FREE. I have been doing all the research I can since the only experience I have is freshwater aquariums.

I am moving to a brand spanking new house in about a week and a half and I will be wanting to start setting up my tank as soon as possible. The new house has a water softener system and what looks like a 5 stage Proline Plus RO system under the sink in the kitchen. From what I can tell it has two carbon filters, a sediment filter, the RO membrane and something else horizontal on top next to the membrane that I can't remember off the top of my head. My question is, is this adequate for a reef system or should I try to add a DI filter to it, and do they make such a thing that is easy to do?

What I am thinking of starting with is 120+ lbs LR, 100 lbs LS, some gentle fish and a few soft corals. It will be awhile before I can afford all of that and seeing as how I have to start with water, this RO/DI question is the first one I should tackle, in my mind anyway.

I have a million other questions so I hope to learn a lot here!

Thanks in advance!

(Is been about 10 years since I've posted anything in a forum, hope I'm still doing it right)

Welcome! Just saying, but live rock is more expensive than base rock (dry rock). So if you are buying 120 pounds of live rock, that is MUCH more money than you would spend on 120 pounds of dry rock. I just wish that I realized that before I spent so much money on buying live rock. So it might be easier on your wallet if you bought mostly dry rock and a couple of pounds of live rock.

try to find out what RO filter that is...if it has a DI filter than it should be good but if it doesn't you will need the RO/DI system

I agree with reefnoob, I would do at least 60% base rock and 40& liverock...120lb's of LR would be crazy expensive

Thanks for the info on the LR, that makes alot more sense. I looked at the RO unit last night. The other filter on top by the membrane is an activated carbon filter i think, so i definately do not have a DI filter.

Im still wondering if I can put an inline DI filter after all the other filters so I do not have to buy a whole new RO/DI system. Has anyone ever done this?

THANKS!

I'm a newbie but when I bought my RO/DI I purchased the dual output so I could get the most use out of it for a few extra dollars. It has both DI and Carbon Filtered Drinking Water. It just has a Tee split between the two. Don't know if you look on Ebay but they have a DI upgrade kit for about 15.00.

Search for "0-PPM-RO-DI-filter-upgrade-kit-with-Tube-Connector-Clips"

Hope that helps.

I'm a newbie but when I bought my RO/DI I purchased the dual output so I could get the most use out of it for a few extra dollars. It has both DI and Carbon Filtered Drinking Water. It just has a Tee split between the two. Don't know if you look on Ebay but they have a DI upgrade kit for about 15.00.

Search for "0-PPM-RO-DI-filter-upgrade-kit-with-Tube-Connector-Clips"

Hope that helps.

Found it. Looks like that ought to work. Thanks for the info.

Back