Newbie....Help Pls.

shanet1975

Reefing newb
OK. My daughter (8) and I have decided we are going to set up a SaltWater tank. I am as new to this as one can be, and have absolutely no idea what is needed. I will be stopping off at the fish store on my way home from work today to talk to them, but I know they won't be much help as there is usually a 14 or 15 year old working there. I've been doing some reading and am finding that it would be easier to start with a bigger tank. This kind of made sense after reading the reasoning, but would it make that much of a difference. We had our eye on a 40 or so gallon tank the other day. Would this not be big enough for a beginner? We don't have all the $ in the world, so we are looking for stuff that works, but not top of the line. Any suggestions on how to start and what to get would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks so much for your time...

I guess my first question is are going with a coral reef saltwater setup or fish with maybe some live rock?There is a wonderful helpful articles tab that has useful info.40 gallon will be a great startup size. common to the two above setups would first be 2 inchs of live argonite sand.protein skimmer(coralife makes a great low budget skimmer)this will help with remove excess food and nutrients before they become and issue.two well placed power head to add a good water flow in your tank.Other filteration could come from a hang on the back filter(easy access for cleaning and pad changing)rock amount will depend on what ype of system you have planed maybe 40 lbs worth.Your best option is to get some dry argonite rock for hirocks.com(save you lots of dollars $45 shipped) and seed the dead dry rock with good quality live from your LFS or a online vendor.Use only RO water or the local filtered water stores water.
Lighting can be standard dual flouresents if fish only.Reef tank will require a higher wattage light like power compacts or metal halides.hope this helps let us know some of your plans for what you would like in the tank.

That was incredibly helpful. I'm not really sure what kind of setup. Just spoke to my wife and she is hoping for starfish and clown fish and other cool little guys. What is the easiest way to start out?

Did some more reading and it looks like the fish/live rock tank is what we will start out with. I'm sure over time we may try for the more beautiful coral reefs and such, but for now, we'll start off with the fish. I visited that hirocks.com site and see many different selections. I am pretty sure we are getting a 45 gallon tank. How much of the dry rock and what size, then how much of the fresh stuff from the fish store should we start with? Also what is used for the base? I'll do some more reading on what kind of lighting and filter systems to get. Have to read up on the 'cycling' as well. I guess if I looked online enough I could probably get all these questions answered, but if someone would like to help out too, I'd greatly appreciate it....Maybe someone w/some experience in starting these up...

Hello, and welcome to the hobby. Just a few tips to check into as a beginner.
One of the biggest mistakes made by begginer is not having patience. you cant rush a saltwater tank, as you mentioned before the local stores have 13 -15 year olds working there and all they say is yes to everything cause they don't care and don't know. Adding fish should be done slowly especially with your size tank, and make sure every fish you add is compatible with the others.
Your cycle is the first step, and how long it takes is based on what you start with. If you buy a substrate like aragalive it will help your cycle time alittle, A more crucial addition is live rock, the more you can afford the better. Be sure to ask if the rock is cured or non cured, Cured rock is better and will cycle your tank quickly, If in doubt as to whether it is cured or not smell it, if it smells like rotten eggs its not cured.
If you can find a local reef club try to find someone who can give you 20 or so gallons of cycled water from there tank and mix the rest fresh. this will all help speed up the cycle process.
buy some test kits, with fish only you can probly start with PH, Ammonia,nitrate.
with liverock a cheap protein skimmer would help but isn't totally neccessary, a good back filter like a emperor 400 would do great.
Lighting isn't important for the fish but if you get some powercompacts the liverock will grow all kinds of organisms and thats always fun to watch.
Something you will learn is that everyone has there own opinion about what works, but you will have to figure out what works best for your situation. good luck and be patient, it does pay off.
heres some catalog companies that will save you big bucks on equipment, they will send you free monthly catalogs with everything you need.
Drsfostersmith.com \ www.petsolutions.com

Thanks for the reply....It does sound much easier going with the fish only setup. Sorry for all the questions, but I have just 1 more....for now... :) Minireefer mentioned getting liverocks from hirocks.com. It says on there site to use 80% dry and get 20% good live rocks from the fish store. OK 2 questions. What size rocks are best for a 45-55 gallon tank? How do you arrange the liverocks? Live ones on top, scattered, on bottom?

If you get the rock from hirocks. I would choose there 30 lbs labeled best. It looks like it out of stock but more is coming next month. I believe when looked a couple of weeks ago it was $45 shipped. The arrangement (it’s your creation so what ever look good to you) is this stuff goes on the bottom placed in the sand bed. Place the live rock (10 to 15 lbs at least) on top of the dry rock. If your budget allows it
add more to get to 1.5 lbs per gallon would be optimal for the best filtration. Also you can increase the rock at a latter time as long as it is fully cured (rocked that has cycled and been getting a light source) go with about 1.5 to 2 inch sand bed. I think this is 40-50lbs of sand. Here some options online http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
The 50 lbs of sand should cover 1 inch or more of the tank bottom. The cost inc. shipping for your area was about $52
Filter: Aquaclears are a very good choice. nice price great performance. Use at least the 50 but for a few $$ more I would get the 70.They hang on the back.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Yahoo-_-fish-_-aquaclear filter
There are other options also such a sump or refugium but will cost more $$
water movement. Use a power head of water pump. Two would be the best one each back corner for the best circulation. There are many brands out there. I am have been happy with my Rios .I would use two of the 600 series
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
Heater: 200 watts should be ok
Lighting does the tank have some fluorescent lights already? If so you can try those first or upgrade them.
Here the good light for saltwater fish only
http://hellolights.com/36aqt5dolist.html
To get the best color and growth out your rock and fish plus be able to add some soft coral when you’re ready here my recommendation
http://hellolights.com/362xcoluaqde.html
A protein skimmer would also be a helpful addition. I posted some info above on those.
Also you need some basic test kit like the ones ironman talked about. Salt and hydrometer
The above are ideas for 45 gallon setup; also your local stores may have better pricing

Not bad......I was expecting much more $ up front... Thank you for all of the links and suggestions on what to buy. Very very helpful. I still think I am going to stick with the 45 gallon tank. But (always a but), the tank we are looking at that will fit nicely in our living room is taller rather than longer. Meaning less bottom ground area then height. I read that that might not be the best idea. Are there any places to order tanks on line? The tank I am looking at is 269.99 which seems really reasonable. We'd love the 55 gallon for 899.99, but just can't swing that with everything else we need. Wasn't sure if there was a site that sells startup kits, i.e filters, heaters testers and all the other stuff that is needed.
Thanks again for your input and time...

Welcome to the forum. I hope your visits here are fun, informative, and educational. a 40 gal. tank will be just fine to start and see if salt water is for you, but by the time you add rock sand etc. you will not have 40 gal of water and you will have some limitations on what you can put in the system, however, there will still be a large variety of animals you can select from. I would recommend you go to the helpful articles and read the following articles on page one of that forum:

1-Beginning Saltwater Aquarium
2-Beginners Guide
3-cycling the tank
4-common mistakes new aquarium

Hope this helps. The above articles were posted to help those that are just entering the saltwater hobbly. if you are like me, once bitten by saltwater there is never anything as fun or close to it. I hope you and your family find the fun, joy, and entertainment that I have found over the years with the saltwater hobby. I remain available to help as I can. you can e-mail me or send me a private message. just click on my name and once to my personal page you can select pm or e-mail. good luck and if you have additional questions post them here in your thread. we will try our best to provide you with the best information we can.

Thank you again for the warm welcome....I will get reading as I think this weekend we will head out and find all the equipment we need. I was going to try to find used stuff, but thought it might be best to just start fresh with a new setup. Hopefully we'll have time this weekend, but we have my oldest daughters b-day party (8) and have to prepare for that...
Thanks again and I will keep you guys and gals posted....
Shane

Thought I would throw in my two cents :twocents: Walmart sells a 55 gallon kit (hood, bulbs, filter) for about 160.00 and a stand for about 75.00. Hope this helps.

That is awesome. Thanks. I checked there website earlier but didn't see anything. I'll check again, and if not I'll swing by there.
Thanks again....

I didn't see anything on their site, either. However, (at least here in Texas), they carry the kits in the stores. Petsmart has the same kits (at least here in Texas) for about the same price. Good luck, and like everyone else said, be patient.

Well, change of plans. I was showing my wife some pictures on the site and she really likes the looks of the tanks with the coral and anenomes and stuff so looks like we'll be going all out and setting up a coral reef tank. I guess I should stop talking about it and get out there and start buying some stuff to get started. Back to reading the guides over and taking notes. Never did make it to Walmart or petco. Maybe tonight. It looks like that site online has the cheapest filters and lights and skimmers and stuff. I'll have to look back through to find the site again. DEcided to go with the longer bigger tank as well after checking out some of the really beautiful tanks in the photos section. My wife is also a amateur photographer so she was psyched to see some of the pictures. She has been using SLR cameras for the longest time, but just bought her the canon rebel eos xt. Again, I will keep everyone posted on my success.....
Thanks again for all the input and advice......
Shane

I probably shouldn't post this as someone will outbid me :) But, I have to ask if this is a good setup.....It's on ebay and the item number is 7752875119. Its about an hour and a half away. I think I may throw a bid out there as this looks like a nice setup...But what do I know :)
My question is if I buy somethiing like this with everything already setup that is a ways away, is it ok to move? Not sure how this would be done. Take out most of the water I guess. It would go into the back of a trailblazer.

Thats a really good deal if the price stay that low.1.5 hours away is workable.
Just bag the coral and fish and put them in a stierfoam container to keep the water temp more stable.Also the fish and coral could be put in buckets to if the tempature outside is warm enough.I just would not chance it though.The rock can go into bucket or new plastic garbage cans with water from the tank.Try to save as much tank water as possible.If it is not to heavy the sand can stay in the tank with some water to keep it moist or put in a can lined with a tick plastic bag also with some water.At home reset up the equipment and tank.Add the sand back if removed.I Add the original water(f you put some plastic over the sand when adding the water it will help keep the sand from clouding the water.next put rocks back in how ever you like.Add some pre mixed saltwater to
bring the level up to were needed.The coral,fish and inverts will need to be aclimated to the water.Put the coral where you like.release the fish and inverts.Now enjoy.
Also keeping check on craigslist for some good used prices like this one

Good to hear. All that plumbing scares me, but it's probably because I'm not sure what does what yet. And this canisters hanging there :) Thanks for the transporting tips. I'll keep my eyes on it. So that is pretty much all I would need correct?

Good people to deal with.

Don't know if this will help you. There is a pet store in Portsmouth, NH call Little shop of pets.

The man that is in charge of salt water setups name is Tom :bounce: with tons of years of experience. He will not sell you garbage, and he has a 250 gallon tank in his showroom (Reef Tank) So you can see first hand that he knows what to do. Also check his refrences on google. People drive from NY stay a night, and buy corals, and or fish from him.

Tell them Marc Smith sent ya if you try them!! Great people!

Ps: I found them by going thru the same stuff you did, 18 year old kids that only know the "I don't know" fish =) :frustrat:

Good Luck

good luck!!

Last edited:
That really isn't that bad of a ride. My Dad just built a house up in Gilford NH (Lakes Region) and we go up quite often to see them. I'm sure Portsmouth isn't too far from there. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great person to get to know...I still have to get my setup though. :) The auction I'm interested in is up in 4 and a half days. I'm just hoping it doesn't get too high. Any idea what something like this would go for???
Ebay item # 7752875119 Everything but the stand, but with it all plumbed like it is I asked and he would sell that for an additional 100.00. He says it's worth 3-4k. Super nice guy. Been emailing back and forth a little and he seems quite helpful. I just hope I'm not holding out for something that I couldn't swing. Might be better off starting with the tank and going from there....

Back