newbie help with coral selection

i have mushrooms, leathers, kenya tree. clove polyps. pulsing zenia and nonpulsing. zenia, zoanthids, star polyps, just don,t be in a hurry to get them right up under the lights. a lot of these will do well for you lower down. i also have a socalled candalabra.

I have a tank with soft corals only and have all that monique has listed except candalabra.i agree they can be placed at top or bottom although i did have to lower my mushrooms abit.If a coral aint happy with where you have placed it by watching your tank regularly(which is wot it is for) your coral will show signs it aint happy and so just move it higher or lower for more or less light or current.except for my mushrooms tho i have generally put them where i would like them aesthetically and they are doing well.recently i have moved my toadstool leather from bottom to middle and it has expanded more now hence it does have a preference .this is my experience with my tank and corals.

Mushrooms are almost always the first softies to be introduced, I think if you can get the mushrooms to grow then you have a good chance at success with other soft corals. Another good soft corals is the cabbage coral, the cabbage once established will seek out where it enjoys itself best, in my tank it runs the range from the lower 25% to the upper 10% of the water column. I did notice that a suggestion was Xthenia (sp) they are somewhat funny and do very well in tanks and do poorly in others, I have read that they like a bit more organics then most tanks afford because we have protein skimmers. Finger corals and Toad stools are both good starters as well.

Good luck, soft corals are a fun and interesting way it enter the world of corals. I do hope you enjoy the hobby as you watch them grow and multiple.

i have mushrooms, leathers, kenya tree. clove polyps. pulsing zenia and nonpulsing. zenia, zoanthids, star polyps, just don,t be in a hurry to get them right up under the lights. a lot of these will do well for you lower down. i also have a socalled candalabra.
I'd like to see a pic of the candalabra.

Mushrooms are almost always the first softies to be introduced, I think if you can get the mushrooms to grow then you have a good chance at success with other soft corals. Another good soft corals is the cabbage coral, the cabbage once established will seek out where it enjoys itself best, in my tank it runs the range from the lower 25% to the upper 10% of the water column. I did notice that a suggestion was Xthenia (sp) they are somewhat funny and do very well in tanks and do poorly in others, I have read that they like a bit more organics then most tanks afford because we have protein skimmers. Finger corals and Toad stools are both good starters as well.

Good luck, soft corals are a fun and interesting way it enter the world of corals. I do hope you enjoy the hobby as you watch them grow and multiple.
your right bout xenia.have got pieces of it spread over tank and doing really well.i dont have protein skimmer and since i have started doing my waterchanges every 2 weeks lately im sure they look better

Back