Newbie here! Circulation questions

Viperstk

Reefing newb
I am new to the forums and love the amount of available information here! Now, on to my latest question...
background:
I have a 55 gal tank that has been up for over a year now. I have recently added some additional live rocks and now have about 45 lbs of live rock doing very well. I have a bubble anenomie, some cleaner shrimp, a yellow tang, a dragon doby, two clown fish, asorted crabs and snails, and an aggresive black and white damsel. Everything is doing great and i think i am ready to begin to add some corals!
Tank circulation. I am looking at possibly buying a pair of Koralia Evo 750 gph powerheads and mounting them on opposite sides of the tank. Maybe hooking them to a wavemaker of some kind, or do i need to?
question:
What specific equipment would you reccomend? I have no other circulation other than filters. Do i need a wavemaker? Will two powerheads on opposite ends of the aquarium create enough current?
Thanks in advance!!!

I think you will want a little more flow that those two offer, you want to aim for 20x your tank volume, but you have the correct idea with the placement.

No you dont need a wavermaker, and i think those Koralia arent made to turn on and off frequently and they wear out faster that way.

Hopefully this goes without saying, but you are going to need to get more powerful lights for corals and much cleaner water than you would need for a FOWLR tank.

Thanks for the useful information. I am looking at the next step up, the 1050 gph Koralias. Hopefully that is a good pump, I really want the best...
Yes, I should be ok on lighting and clean water. I run T-5 lighting, good filtration and a protient skimmer. My water stays very clean and clear.

I wouldn't get a wavemaker -- they are really nice on larger tanks, but seem like overkill on a 55. That's just me -- if you want one, go for it!

No, I'm glad I don't need one Bifferwine. I just want to be sure flow is adequate to keep some little corals happy.

The koralias are great, but you do have to clean them every once in awhile. I take mine out and soak them in a vinegar bath once a month to make sure nothing is there that will mess with the proper function of the pump or other moving parts.

I had a pair of Maxijet 1200's in my 55 years ago. Those coupled with the return pump was enough flow to keep most corals happy and healthy. Plus they are hell of cheap. I love my Koralias, but you can acheive the same effect with the MJ's for much less money.

The Koralia 1050's are in place and WOW is there a lot of flow! My fishys are getting a work out now! :-) Mr. Anemone seems to be very happy with the change. Again, thanks for all the advice / help.
Now on to my next question...

Back