newbie in saltwater tanks

mcazurin

Reefing newb
hello guys.... i just recently purchased today a 120 gallon tank....its awesome, but anyway i was needed for some information in where to put this tank. we use to have a 55 galon tank which was a frestwater fish tank. and the place where da tank use to b placed was in front of our window. it would always have algae because it never had blinds to cover the sunlight. knowing that direct sunlight can affect this saltwater tank im going into... is it okay if i buy dark curtains and blinds to cover the sunlight and placing the new tank infront of the window?

only if you plan to keep them closed at all times, i personally would find somewhere else to put it where is wont get alot of sunlight

i wouldnt mind keeping it closed at all times, im just wondering if i leave it closed with no sunlight hitting the tank if i would b alright.

Even if you keep the blinds closed you still might have a problem with a heat issue with it being so close to a window. I would place it somewere else.

You could even paint the back black and not have to worrie about the sunlight. Black on the back looks great and you will see alot of tanks like it.

If your using a chiller you might not have to worrie but whay take the chance?

If your tank is going to be a reef tank and have corals and such in it, it might not be to bad of an idea to put near a window, most reef tanks use metal halide bulbs to simulate sunlight that corals need to live. I know some people use natural sunlight to assist them in lighting there tank, you just dont want alot of it. Your biggest issue in this case, i would think would be temperature. if your tank stayed at a fairly constant temperature and didn't get too high during the day or too low at night i would think you'd be fine.

A good rule of thumb is to not put your tank in front of a window. Regardless of how you plan to try to keep direct light out. I know it sounds nuts, since you are trying to emulate the sun with your corals, but it makes a magnifying glass type effect for your tank. IMHO seek a better place in your home for a tank. I have my tank near a window, but it is a North facing window and it never sees sunlight. Maybe you have a spot like that in your place. I quite like to show off my tank to passersby. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Doc burried that nail the first lick.Any time you set up your tank in front of a window,its like ,well,burning ants with the magnifing glass.You have the window as a magnifier,the glass of the tank,then the water.So in realitiy your getting 3 times brighter light,which also means 3 times more heat.

Back