Newbie nano tank questions

biodarwin

Reefing newb
So far I have narrowed my search down to 2 different tanks:

24 Gallon Nanocube
24 Gallon Aqua Pod
29 Gallon Biocube

The price difference between these systems is minimal so I am not really concerned with this. Things I noticed. The Aqua pod comes in 64W and 150W. Biocube 36W and the Nanocube with 2 36 Watt lamps. I think I read that 3.5 watts per gallon of water for soft coral is rule of thumb.

That would seem to rule out the Biocube from the race. Both 64 watt systems would seem to be close based on this rule. I know all systems are different but I am trying to do as much research as I can so that I can make this work right.

As I have been looking through this magazine it seems the coral is rated via water flow. As a newbie to all of this, what range of pump matches up with the water flow requirements. Like a nano polyp pack requires moderate water flow. Is there some sort of gph ration that I can use to determine what I need?

Out of your guys and gals experiences, what is my best option of the tanks listed above and is my logic sound so far?

Thank you all very much in advance.

Go with the one that has the best lighting. Lighting is what will usually limit the animals you can keep in a nano tank. Flow is important too, but you can increase flow a lot easier than you can change the lights it comes with.

Hi Biodarwin,

Welcome to the site. Remember, the TANK is the cheapest part of your setup.
Lighting, skimmer, live sand, live rock, test kits, etc......that's where the $$$ comes in.

I agree with Biff. Go for the best lit system.

If you're setting up a nano tank, I would suggest you browse : http://www.nanotuners.com/.

They have some nice upgraded nano tanks you can buy.
You can pickup this one.

It's a 28g nanocube customized with :
(1) 150w HQI MH light (awesome for this size tank)
(4) nightlight LEDs
(2) power heads for flow
(1) wavemaker
(1) skimmer integrated
(4) cooling fans
Plus, it comes with all the standard nanocube features.
All this for $499.00.
You would easily spend much more than that buying everything separate.

Good Luck!

Biodarwin,
I am a newbie also. I just went to my local fish monger for live rock and a blessing on my biocube. I had some worries because I started with treated tap water (before finding this site). It looks like mine was fine (we have good local water when you treat it right) except for PH which can be easily fixed.
I have a Oceanic Biocube 29g. It's stock except for replacing the bioballs with live rock and the addition of a small protein skimmer (the one designed to fit in the 1st filter well).
I asked about the lighting and he said the biocube was fine for just about anything but a serious hard coral reef system. He had one 29g and two 14g setups on display that were teeming with corals and fish. He really likes the bio's and said they were great for beginners. Since I am a newbie I am s-l-o-w-l-y working my tank up but plan on some kind of anemone and/or soft corals. He showed me several that would work just fine in my tank. The LFS said picking your fish and inverts go hand in hand. You have to pick tankmates that won't snack the inverts to death. You can get upgrades for the oceanic biocubes (MH lighting) but my LFS said before I went that way I should look at a BIG tank instead. He had a unbelievable 300g setup I was drooling over...but I already have loads of freshwater tanks. I will get my experience with the biocube and then think about a bigger tank.

Good Luck and welcome to Living Reef...

Jay

Attachments

• Tankemail.jpg
    Tankemail.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,491
Back