Newbie on the block

NotiReef

Reefing newb
Hello All....

Just wanted say a quick hi :wave: to everyone. I just got into the hobby with my 55 gal reef tank. I setup my tank with live rock, sand and some cleaning crew..thats about it. Gonna wait a few more weeks until I start adding to it ;-) I am so excited!!!!!
Look forward to getting to know you all!

Hi and welcome! I agree with what everyone else said -- animals will rarely survive a cycle. Don't add anything more until your tank is done cycling.

Thank You everyone!
My cleaning crew includes hermit crabs, a couple of emerald crabs, some snails and a serpent sea star. The sea star hids in back of the tank behind rocks since i got him. Is this normal? I see him moving around but not that much. Do i need to feed him???

but since you are cycling its best you take everything out, since the high ammonia and nitrites will kill it and all inverts in the tank,

Oh....i didn't know that I had to take them out while the tank cycled. My LFS said to just let everything be the way it is until the levels were back to normal and then start adding to the tank.

Confused!!:confused:

If you have ammonia and nitrite in your tank (which occur while the tank cycles), even small levels of those two things can be fatal to inverts, which are especially sensitive to water parameters. It's normally recommended to not add any animals, fish or cleaner crew, until the tank is completely cycled and the water is safe for them.

Welcome to the site! House music huh? Had a couple of friends in the Army that were really into that as well, must be a Georgia thing(both were from Buck Head) I just dont get it.

i hate it too ryan so its not a georgia thing, although my brother likes it so maybe im just the minority. i prefer screamo. and i have been to a store in duluth. i shop online or at marine fish and reef in east cobb. check out the sponsors page on atlantareefclub.org

Back