Newbie questions on rock and starting a 29g

Captain Ron

Reefing newb
I am new to reefing and am about to start a 29 gallon tank. (29 is the biggest we can fit into our apartment floorplan.)

I am planning to go FOWLR and maybe in 3-6 months add some coral fragments. For now I am thinking of starting with just rock and a HOB filter (an AquaClear 70), no sump, and a RODI unit for preparing the water. I have heard a skimmer isn't necessary but preferred with fowlr. Is this true? In the future I would like to add a few shrimp and eventually a few small fish without overloading my tank. I don't know what a good bioload for my 29g is yet.

For rock I have seen mentioned here reefrocks and marcorocks. Is one better than the other or are there additional recommendations? I am worried about introducing pests and bad things into the water, and a local LFS mentioned something about bloodworms or some other possible infestations on live rock. Is this an issue? Is it better to start with totally dead rock and wait a month (or two?) for the rock to become live? She also mentioned not using more than 1/2 inch of aragonite sand on the bottom to not have anaerobic stuff at the bottom which could poison the tank. Is this an issue? Basically, how should I start with rocks and sand?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

-Capt. Ron

Welcome to the site!

I, personally (with tons of patience and procrastiation) prefer dry rock, which turns into live rock within no time, anyway. That way, I can lower the risk of unwanted pests significantly.

But if you're in a rush, then by all means, go with live rock, but like you mentioned you run the risk of getting pests. But many here do it that way :)

Don't worry about depth of sand. If you want a DSB (deep sand bed), you have to go 5"+ for it to be effective. But in a 29g, you lose a lot of tank space and not worth it, imo. Some go bare bottom; I myself only have maybe 1"; enough to cover the tank bottom and to satisfy my sand sifting goby.

A skimmer helps take poop and uneaten food out of the water column before they break down. So they are helpful. But like you said, unnecessary..just be sure to do regular partial water changes. I'd avoid the aquaclear unless you're only using it for flow. If you put cartridges in it, it will trap detritus and could cause nitrates to go up. It's really best left for freshwater tanks. Your live sand and live rocks are all the filters you need. A hob skimmer would be better, if you really want one.

I used about 99% live rock for my 55 Gal, and i am to ashamed to say how much it cost lol. For my 30 Gal i just got dry rock and it cost me about 130$ with shipping and sand.

Not much difference tbh.

+1 to wontonflip... I tohught for DSB had to be atleast 4 inches +? Could be wrong.. Do water changes and you will be fine. I have a skimmer in my 20 gallon but i have 10 gallon sump so i decided to put a skimmer in it. Also Welcome :)

Go with a shallow sand bed. An inch or less is perfect. A protein skimmer is helpful, but not necessary. You will have to do 10% to 20% water changes each week regardless of whether you have one or not.

For a 29 gallon tank, you can fit 3 to 4 fish. So choose wisely. :)

Thank you all for the welcome and great information! And thanks Bifferwine on the fish limit recommendation. I was hoping for maybe 3-4 small fish and 2 shrimp, and maybe a small crab or two. Everything I have been reading seems to indicate you can reasonably support far less fish than a new hobbist think's they can.

I had another question. I have just ordered a RO/DI system. How does one store the water? I was thinking of getting three 5 gallon bucks, one with a float valve to collect RO/DI water, 1 to store water, 1 to mix with, water change with, or whatever.

Do I need to find "food safe" buckets or will any of the general purpose or 5 gallon "paint" buckets that hardware store sell suffice? If I need special buckets, anyone have a suggestion?

Also any particular suggestions or recommendations for what kind of sand to get? Seems like it should be aragonite, no more than 1 inch deep, but fine?, coarse?, any suggested places to look?

Thanks again!

-Capt. Ron

U can use the buckets just clean them out before using them.like vinegar and water. Like my LFS has buckets also so sometimes they will just give it to u.. Depends of u want deep sea bed or not I have couple inches of sand.

Most people don't store the RODI water. They just make it as they need it. If you want to keep some on hand, 5 gallon buckets work fine. If you have the room, plastic Brute trash cans are good too. I think for most people, it's a space issue. At least, I don't have room to store water, so I just make it as I go and put the buckets away when I'm done. You don't need special buckets. The hardware store ones are fine. Sand is really up to you, what you like the looks of. I would avoid fine because it seems to get blown around much easier. Stick with up to 1 or 2 inches. Don't go any more than that in your display tank.

Back