Newbie to ALL types of fish keeping

StimulusPackage

Reefing newb
I am very new to all of this. I am starting with a 36 gallen bowfront. I am in the process of modifying the stand because it is not deep enough, so I am adding a 2x4 to the back. I am taking it VERY slow even on the setup part, which has actually saved me a couple of time (like an aquarium stand that is to narrow).

Equipment So Far:
-Aqueon 36 gallon Bowfront
-Eheim Pro3 G90 2073 canister filter
-(2) hydor 750 powerheads (I think I only going to use one of them)
-200 watt heater

Equipment still to purchase:
-Marineland Reef Capable LED with timer 24-36
-Digital Thermometer
-API saltwater master test kit
-Sallinity Refractometer
-Magnet scubber

Live Stock to get:
- 40-60 lb Live Rock
- 40-60 lb Live Sand

Then I wait.....

ANY SUGGESTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Welcome to the site!

I'd ditch the canister filter (do a search on here, and you'll see many people having problems with theirs -- they're nitrate factories). Those who use it successfully maintain them regularly, but IMO, it's just extra unnecessary work.

Get a good skimmer instead....it removes gunk from the water column before they have a chance to break down,.

Don't forget that using rodi or distilled water is usually best. Most of us bought an RODI filter to use at home so we don't have to run to the store for water. but some with small tanks just buy distilled from walmart. Those who used tap (like me when I first started) found that we ended up with lots of algae outbreaks and constantly high nitrates.

But sounds like you're off to a great start! Patience is the key!

+1 Wonton!

Welcome to the site and reef-keeping -- sounds like you are off to a great start, and taking it slow in this hobby will be a life saver!!

I think you will ultimately want both powerheads in order to get enough flow in the tank so that there aren't dead spots. Make sure one of two is directed at the top of the tank for good oxygenation.

As for the marineland reef capable - there are two versions, one of which is a newly released version w/ integrated timer. I would strongly recommend that version! Also, I'd do a quick google search to make sure the marineland light will give you enough coverage on a bowfront. I assume it will, but best to double check :)

As for rock, you can buy mostly dry rock (aim for 1-2 lbs per gallon) and then add just a few pieces of live rock. The rest of the rock should turn live over the course of your cycle, and dry rock is far cheaper than live rock. Two popular places to get dry rock are Marco Rocks and Bulk Reef Supply (their pukani rock is amazing!)

And you will need to also pick up the API (or another brand) basic test kit - the master kit doesn't have the basic tests in it that you need (e.g., ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH). In fact, I'd recommend just getting the basic test, and then when you get to a point of adding stony corals into your tank you can think about picking up a calcium and magnesium tests. You don't really need anything other than those, and I believe alkalinity tests come in the basic kit.

Have you thought about what type of fish/corals you want to get yet?

Thanks... I look forward to more of this great input.

OK, this is brings up more questions
Let's start with dumping this $200 canister filter (OUCH!! I guess I should have done a little more research), I got it because a wet/dry filter will not fit under my stand. This was before I saw all the HOB options out there. I was think about getting a Reef Octopus BH-100 anyway in a couple of month, but you guys are saying i should go ahead and do that now and put the eheim on craigslist. I guess its just hard for me to understand that the protein skimmer will work by itself and the live rock and sand. Its does not seem like enough.

I was also planning on buying all my distilled water from WallyWorld for the initail setup and for evaporation and getting per-mixed from my LFS for water changes.

P.S. should I make room for a HOB refug in the near future.

Why does a protein skimmer and live rock not seem like enough? The live rock handles the ammonia cycle and the protein skimmer handles the dissolved organics

Normal water changes handle other comtaminants and replenish trace elements

I guess bc I am so new to this when I think of filtration I think of some kind of mesh that physically traps particles in the water. But i guess that is what a protein skimmer does.

Is the Reef Octupus HOB skimmer good or should I look for another one.

Ooo... sorry FishyReef, besides the obvious clown fish for my girls, i have not gaven that to much thought besides being reef safe, small enough for this tank and not aggressive. liveaquaria.com has a nano fish section i have been thumbing through, but i will most likely buy fish for my LFS. My plan was to get the sand, rock and water in the tank let that cycle for a couple of months and then get about a half my cleaning crew, and that is as far as i have made it.

You've certainly got plenty of time to decide about fish choices! Live Aquaria is a fabulous site to get info from, and fish if needed, but if you have a good LFS and can get them from there, go for it! I often research things on Live Aquaria and then get them locally if they are available.

As for the canister, is there any way you can return it? If so, the HOB reef octopus will cost you less than $200 (I was looking at that one today for a new build I am starting and all of the HOB reef octopus skimmers are between $125ish-$180ish on Drs Foster-Smith). If you can return, do so! Otherwise sell it on CL for as much as you can, and then use that money to get a skimmer. Reef octopus is a great brand. The other HOB brand I've heard good things about is Aqua Remora - don't know what the price comparison is.

North is right, in SW tanks, the live rock/sand handles the ammonia and a skimmer (or just water changes in small tanks) remove the undissolved particles. Going with a good skimmer is key to removing the junk. But even w/o a skimmer you would be fine with a smaller tank. And if you can't get a skimmer right away, that's okay - I ran my 90g skimmerless for the first few months, and little fish ran her tank skimmerless for a period of time as well. The problem with the canister and other HOB filters is that they collect so much gunk that just festers and causes nitrate problems. It's not worth it! So if you can get rid of it for a good price, do so. But, you don't need to get the skimmer immediately - a few months down the road will be fine.

Also, you can get an RO/DI unit from Bulk Reef Supply for around $130ish - a 35g isn't a huge tank, but after filling it and doing a handful of water changes, you've easily spent half of what it would cost for the RO/DI - over time it will save you a lot of money. But price it out and see if its worth it. As long as you are using distilled water or getting RO/DI or RO/DI mixed with salt from your LFS then you are good. You can always get an RO/DI unit later on.

Last edited:
Plus you don't want a wet/dry...that's pretty much in the same league as canister filters in this hobby -- they will work fine in this hobby, but they're just extra work and both are nitrate factories if you don't clean them regularly. Canisters and wet/dry filter out the gunk....but the gunk stays IN the water column until you rinse them out; if you don't clean them on a regular basis, they will break down into nitrates hence the term "nitrate factories".

The skimmer, on the other hand, also pulls the gunk...except it takes it OUT of the water column entirely before it can break down into nitrates.

If you don't want to/can't return the canister, it's ok; some people keep theirs to run carbon in emergencies.

And the Octopus skimmers are amongst the best of the bunch.

ok... one more question about skimmers. I will looking at Reef Octopus bh100's and bh1000's and they seem to come in a couple differant configurations.
- Skimmer
- Protein Skimmer
- Surface Skimmer
- Filter System

Which one is better??

ok... one more question about skimmers. I will looking at Reef Octopus bh100's and bh1000's and they seem to come in a couple differant configurations.
- Skimmer
- Protein Skimmer
- Surface Skimmer
- Filter System

Which one is better??

I'm sure others can chime in, but as far as I know they are all protien skimmers, my guess is the various websites have them described slightly differently. It's definitely a good brand to buy though

Back