Newbie to the saltwater world

BruceJr

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I am in the process of buying a tank right now. I am buying a 90 gal tank with everything included except for the water and fish. I have a brother-in-law who has a tank and is helping me thru the process but love the idea of meething people on here that can help me out as well.

Thanks. I have been checking around and I cant find a thread to answer a question. I may have read over it and missed it. But, I am buying about 200 lbs of dry rock with my 90 gallon tank. I know its gonna be quite a process to make this rock live again. I am told that I need to put the rock in my tank with just enough saltwater to cover the rocks and put my wavemakers in it. And I just let it sit, possibly a 2 month process. But do I have to put a brand new piece of live rock in the tank so that the live organisims will leach out and onto the dead ones??

While you could get away with a single piece of live rock to seed your tank, I would recommend a mix of live and dry rock. I started with 1 lb of live rock for every 10 lbs of dry rock, and my cycle was pretty quick

Welcome to the site

Back