Newbie with a dying sebae

mooners9

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

I'm really new to saltwater tanks, but so far it's been a lot of fun. Everything that we've put in the tank has been thriving thus far (BTA, 2 clown fish, yellow watchman goby, plate mushroom coral, leather coral, button polyps, snails, hermit crabs, sandsifting starfish and conches) EXCEPT for our sebae anenome. I think he may be dying and I'm desperate for any advice or suggestions on how to save his life. It looks like his insides are on the outside and he is on his face in the substrate. He's also been white for a little while and we've been force-feeding him.

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the site Mooner.Sebae Anemones have dismal survival rate in home aquaria.IMPO,Sebaes are one of the most difficult.Unless your tank has been running and stable for at least a year I would never attempt it.If you have high lighting already,I would try to feed it(krill.silverside,mysis) and see if that helps.

Never force feed an anemone. if it is not eating then it is not hungry, sick, or, the food is not appropriate. nothing else to add with the limited information provided. watch the anemone and if it starts to melt away/ go to slime, remove it before it pollutes the tank. good luck. keep us posted.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the concern, but I'm sad to say that the sebae has died. He's being buried today.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well!!

Sorry to hear that, anenomes are always a pretty hard thing to maintain. I made the same mistake when I first started out reefing..... its a newbie thing, kinda like buying a seaclone skimmer.

Back