Newbie with "bugs"

mikesamc

Reefing newb
Hi everybody, I started a 20 gallon 4weeks ago, tanks gone brown already and seems to have stopped now. I added 6 snails and they seem to have done a great job at cleaning up. Yesterday i noticed 2 tiny snails, (babys?) .
I have crushed coral in the bottom, about 10lbs live rock, tests show decent water,(i don't have the numbers in front of me), Penguine mini with bio wheel, sweeper powerhead, water at 79*, 50/50 24" light.
Live rock seems to be doing real good, has lots of growth on it.
Problem or not is there are alot of what looks like white fleas all over the glass. What is this and is it good?
I plan on mostly keeping mushrooms and polyups(sp?), that sort of thing. Maybe a couple fish and a shrimp is what i was planning.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,I asked the same question a while ago! Since then they have dissapeared from the glass,I,ve now found 2 tiny shrimp,I didnt put them in, they came with the rock,also about 6 little snails have appeared from nowhere,You will be surprised what you find over the next few weeks,I find new things all the time I still dont have fish,but at this stage enjoy what develops on its own.

My tank has been up and running for about 9 weeks now.I dont want to rush into it, a friend of mine whose a pro footballer set his up, rushed into buying everything that looked pretty and colourful,spent about £1200 and every thing die within 2weeks,corals,starfish,shrimp everything.His water tests were all over the place,the poor fish didnt stand a chance :death: Ive learnt a valuable lesson from him,be patient,my tank looks beautiful without fish for the time being

Been up and running for 2 month or so. Im not rushing into it as I want to get it right first time,Id hate the thought of killing something for my mistakes.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.Sounds like your tank is coming along nicely.
As Chris said you got some copeods(good Stuff).I would like to suggested adding
a little more live rock(5-10 more pounds)if your budget can alow it.This will give you your biological filtration,and you will be able to remove the Bio-wheel.Bio-wheels have a habit of raising your nitrate levels.Have fun with your new setup.

Thanks for that, Jason. Can i use just a regular power filter then?
I picked up 7lbs. o rock on the weekend, half price. :bounce: gotta like the deals like that.
Also bought a used Prism skimmer for $50. Had it running for about 2 hours, then i found it leaking. :grumble: Shoulda known i guess.
Anyways i just have to find a new o ring for the motor to skimmer attachment point.

Keep the filter for adding paded filters,carbon,and Phosphate removal.Call Prizm directly and talk to pinky.she will give a price for an o-ring.I just changed my prizm skimmer out and put a coralife superskimmer.It wops on the prizm.One mode you do to the prizm that will help it out is atach an air pump to the air hose that normally goes to the collection cup.it will much better after.Also if you want sell my prism for $10 + shipping to you.The intake tube on mine is broken though.

Last edited:
Back