Newb's 72g Reef

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
heres the first swimming additions to my tank!

ClownPair01.jpg

BlueTang02.jpg

BlueTang01.jpg

I was a little worried about adding Zoo's with my tank being so new but the frag was only $7 and i wanted to see how they'd do, so far they look happy.

This was taken first thing in the morning when they hadn't all opened up yet
Zoos01.jpg

This was a couple hours after i toke the first one
Zoos02.jpg

Wondering if you guys knew what some of this stuff is that has been growing on a piece of my LR.
You can see dead center of the pic there is a soft pink like sponge thing that seems to be getting bigger. and then on the lower left you can see a green hard like coral covering the rock. anybody know what those are?
sponge.jpg

Congratulation,the fishes look nice.I'm still in love of the shape of those rocks.The thing on the left hand side doesn't look alive.It looks like a skeleton of an encrusting coral.Are there fine polyps/tentacles coming out?My guess would be some kind of porites.

I wouldn't worry to much about the zoos,you can throw them down a flight a stairs,hardy but susceptible to predation.

very nice newb...my guess is that thing in the last pic is sponge..could be wrong thoug...but it really looks like sponge....reef safe...your tank is looking very nice newb..keep it going...

Nice looking fish. The clowns seem to have got off to a good start being together right away. The blue hippo has some beautifull dark colors. They look great. Is there anyway we can get a whole tank shot? The 72 bows are one of my favorite tanks.

at first i thought it was just the skeleton of a dead coral too but now it's a green color and at first it was white, if there are polyps there to small to see, i guess the green could be due to algae trapping itself in the pours but my snails and crabs are always picking at that rock. and leave virtualy no algae behind them.

fulltank01.jpg

thanks guys for all the comment as you can see i still need more LR, which a 5-10 lb. piece is next on the list. one small question with frozen food feeding, do you take the cube of food and thaw it in warm water then add it to your tank and since i only have 3 fish right now could i cut the cube in half?

I have three fish in my tank and cut the cube into quarters. That seems to be enough for them. Your supposed to thaw it out in clean tank water or ro water the strain it with a cheese cloth or net then feed them the strained out food, however I dont I just thaw it out in a cup with tank water and feed once thawed, but that might be the reason I have some hair algae in my tank to.

Your tank looks good. The 72 bow is one of my favorites the only tank I like better is the wave front ones, but you dont see those around that much.

Thanks for the tip bobby. I like the bowfront too, they seem to magnify things abit so you can really get a close look at things. I go to pull something outta my tank and it's alot smaller than it seems when it's in the tank. I was tempted in getting a wave front but it would take up more space than needed for that size of tank and was affraid that it would distort to much the way things look.

I just break open a cube into a small cup.Once its thawed I use twezzers and add a picnh or 2 at a time untill i start seeing food floating around the tank.I re-freeze whats left untill the next feeding.I only feed every 2 or 3 days.

I dont turn anything, but what ever gets stuck to the sponges on my power heads gets eaten by the fish picking at it. I also dont have a sump so that might make a difference, if you dont have abything in the sump to eat it then you wouldnt want it to rest in there and decay.

You guys are SO much more careful that I am about lots of things. I have thawed frozen food b4, but I must admit, recently, like for the last 4 months, I just drop in the frozen cube of food and watch the fish massacre it. My angels particularly enjoy tearing the cube apart. They don't seem to mind. I feed two or three cubes a day, cyclopeze once a week, and seaweed twice a week. I do ten gallons of water changes weekly and run phosguard to keep parameters correct. Maybe I should look into better feeding practices.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

If your tank stays fairly clean on it's own, and your fish are happy and all are getting there fair share of food, and your parameters stay good, i dont think theres really any reason to change it but i could be wrong, im new to the frozen food thing. Im not to worried about overfeeding with frozen food, once it hits the floor the crabs are all over it.

Some folks systems can handle it though Doc.While some cant.Every system is different.
I personaly turn off my filters for an hour or so after I feed ( every other day ).That way I dont get food particals left in the media to rot and mess up my water quality.

Back