Newb's 72g Reef

still dont think this guys an asterina this ones about the size of a nickle and i saw another today the same size that looks identical to this one. there twice the size of any other asternias i've got in the tank. What does everyone else think?
starfish007.JPG

Someone in my local reef club is getting out of the hobby and is fragging out all his stuff

got this Blue Tort for $30
BlueTort001.JPG

also got this Meteor Shower (Cyphastrea) for $50. sorry the lighting is all washed out, i'll have to get a better pic
MeteorShower001.JPG

Nice additions Newb.
I especially like the meteor shower.Something I don't see very often .

Yeah the guy thats parting out all his stuff told me to not let pieces of that one go for cheap, lol. He has a few other rare corals that if there still there im gonna go pick up in a few days like a 4" colony of Atlantis Hypnotic blue lastistella for $70.

Really nice Blue Tort. I have picked up some of my best pieces over the years due to divorces. Seems a lot of venting can be done about reef tank expenses during divorces.

went to that guys house again who is parting out all his stuff and expected to buy 2 pieces from him and he gave me 2 others for free :D

Atlantis Hypnotic Blue Lastistella
AtlantisHypnoticBlueLastistella.JPG

birds nest
BirdsNest001.JPG

Purple millipora
purplemillipora001.JPG

unknown-this is one of the ones he gave me along with the birds nest but he didn't say what it is. it's looks like some kinda of acropora.
unknown001.JPG

Thought i should mention that the reason there on a frag rack right now is cause when i take my rocks out to clean em off a bit im gonna drill a few holes in them for the frag plugs.

Got the new rock all added. well not all of it. still got 1/4 of the rock i ordered to put somewhere but i think my tank is pretty filled up as far as rock goes.
tank001.JPG

tank002.JPG

thanks for the compliments. yeah i've got a nice divided area in the refugium for lots of rock but im having a hard time deciding if i should put rock in there or or grow something along with the Chaeto like mangroves. im even half tempted to even try calerpa (however ya spell it) sense it's such a vicious nutrient exporter. I've got an area in the sump that my old skimmer is still sitting in that i could place some rock in for extra filtration and pods that i may try.

So those are the Marco Rocks,I'm impressed!

There's nothing stopping you from having some live rock in the fuge and still be able to add chaeto,mangroove,shaving brush or whatever macroalgae you want...all three if you want.

Yep thats the marco rock, beware if you buy the 50lb box, you'll get more than you think. Shaving Brush? is that another name for Caulerpa?

There are a couple of local reefers here who has bought rocks from them.They do have some of the nicest shapes and holes to them.That's why I recommend them for people looking for dry rocks and since they are dry,its almost like getting 75lbs of wet live rock even though your getting 50lbs.

No,shaving brush,well,looks like a shaving brush.Green,bristle like crown with a root-like system.As easy to care for as chaeto.They really nothing like caulerpa,which I would never use again.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+1478&pcatid=1478

Back