Newb's 72g Reef

hmm very interesting, i've never seen that. from what they mention on that site though there very good nutrient exporters. May be worth trying half those and half mangroves in the side of my fuge where i still don't have anything. With both Shaving Brush and Mangroves having roots i would they would be fine together and not need to be seperated with eggcrate or anything.

No, the purple Milli. It looks real nice! I like the looks of Fiji rock, I just think it is a shame the way the reefs are being so badly damaged/destroyed by thousands of tons of coral rock having been ripped up with pry bars to feed the American markets for it though. Rocks that took hundreds of years to be naturally produced by corals and coraline etc., being ripped up and sold for 10 to 12 cents per pound, so it can be bought here for $2.50 a pound. If the rock gets sold in time it is sold as live rock and maybe gets sold in Fiji for 20 cents a pound because it is only a week or less time out of the water. Thank god my education is in Civil/Environmental Engineering and not Environmental Science or I might really protest such practices. I buy quarried dry rock, mari-cultured live rock and aqua-cultured live sand.

Last edited:
If you want some splash of color there are some other safe algaes that are red and some green ones that are safe to use but they are much slower growing and therefore do not lower the nitrates near as much as the chaeto. But if you want pretty they are good plants. Lots of them take up and incorporate calcium so they are not even eaten by fish or critters. They will help stabilize oxygen levels and pH swings when the sump lights are run in a reverse light cycle from the display tank.

im really going for looks in my tank i want effiecency so what ever is going to work best to pull the nutrients out. I will probably never use Caulerpa due to the stories i've heard of it getting into the DT. Mangroves would be very fun to have but I don't know how well they do for filtration and i've also heard they consume magnesium so i'd be dosing more of that which isn't to big of a deal.

If it is in a sump I would go with Chaeto. If your not using a sump I would go with some thing like Ulva (leaf type plant), Gracilaria verrucossa in either green or red (bush type plant). They are not problems as are the Caulerpa plants. They are available from Florida Aqua Farms. The Hawaii aqua farm places also sell some really nice macro algaes.

If it is in a sump I would go with Chaeto. If your not using a sump I would go with some thing like Ulva (leaf type plant), Gracilaria verrucossa in either green or red (bush type plant). They are not problems as are the Caulerpa plants. They are available from Florida Aqua Farms. The Hawaii aqua farm places also sell some really nice macro algaes.

which ever i choose to go with will go in the other half of the refugium. the first half has Chaeto already. i'll check out some of those macro algaes and the companies you posted, thanks.

My new Branching Hammer!:bounce: I bought this frag off the Doc himself, we had a little drug...I mean coral dealing outside of kinko's yesterday. you da man Doc. This is my favorite coral yet!:Cheers: And now I can say i've met Doc ;-) Now i just gotta see his tanks in person.

BranchingHammer.jpg

you met me AND survived. LOL. You are one of the few. Glad the hammer is doing so well. It looks way better in your tank than my own!!! LOL. (jerk :))

It was nice to meet you as well. Good luck with the coral

-Doc

which ever i choose to go with will go in the other half of the refugium. the first half has Chaeto already. i'll check out some of those macro algaes and the companies you posted, thanks.
:bounce: Oops, the two verrucosa's are tumbler plants like the Chaeto and are commonly called Tang Heaven. The Ulva is commonly called Sea lettuce, and it is also considered a tumbler. All three can be attached to a rock with string and they will grow taps to the rocks within a couple of weeks, but are considered best grown or algae exporters when left tumbling (floating) in the water. They grow faster when tumbling. Unlike Chaeto these plants are very well liked by tangs and other herbivores.
:^:

The Tang Heaven comes in both green and red. They have the same formal names Gracilaria verrucosa. The Sea Lettuce is Ulva and it is a green sheet type leafy plant.

but that might be the reason I have some hair algae in my tank to.

We had a problem with a black hairy algae for awhile, I had not even considered that it could have something to do with how we fed the tank. I guess we are bad! We just hold the cube near the top of the water and let it melt into the tank....:hernoseen

Eeek! Bad cube water..! The only real issue that we have had was the black icky wierd algae (lowering the hours on the lights and adjusting the flow took care of it). We also have a hatching feeder in the tank (had to have that Mandarin...) - now I need to master the "no cube water" issue.

Slight question in that case, is there and alternative feed that you don't have to worry about the water (maybe I am lazy, which you really can't be with saltwater, but it is a curiosity thing).

Back