newby questions

greg1186

Reefing newb
ok so i read the post on how to cycle your tank... it was quite helpful.. thank you to the author. but i still have some more questions.

1. should i be doing water changes while the cycle is taking its place?
2. how often should i check chemical levels?
3. is cycling done when, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels reach 0?
4. i have a 14 gallon biocube.. while cycling or whenever... how should i use my lights? there are two light buttons one for night and one for day im assuming? how should i use these, when to turn them on and off?
5. at what time is it safe to introduce a clean up crew and what should it consist of? should i introduce them when nitrates are at 0?

6. THANKS!

1. No, you will prolong cycle
2. I did every few days through the cycle
3. Technically your nitrogen cycle is done when ammonia and nitrite are zero. you most likely will have nitrates left. (do a water change to get them down)
4. Lights/no Lights your choice (algae blooms could become an issue)
5. I introduced CUC when nitrogen cycle was complete because I had a diatome bloom.

anyone else have advice. This is the advice I followed...

Good luck.

Good advice from bojangles. You only need to do water changes during the cycle if you have livestock in the tank (which you shouldn't). Ammonia and nitrites will be zero when the cycles over. You will probably still have nitrates. For nitrates, as close to zero as possible is ideal, but often not obtainable. Below 20 is fine for most inverts and corals.

Back