Newby sump question

MoLaw

Reefing newb
Due to funding I will not be able to do a full blown sump at this time but I do have an idea of a small one that I want to run by you guys. I was just going to get about a 10 or 15 gallon plastic container and put it under the tank to house my skimmer, heater and a HOB filter I have(I have a MarineLand 220 canister on the main tank). Is it worth doing or should I just wait untill I can afford the nice multi-chambered sump? Also I would rather not cut a hole in my tank so how can I get the water from the main tank to the sump. I know I need a powerhead to get it back to the tank but how do I get it from the tank to the sump. I have seen where i goes over the top somehow but I can not wrap my head around the concept that would make this happen. Anyway thanks for the help.

Frank

sypon.you can get a u tube and hang it on the tank with a tube connected to the back side of the tube

The water flows into the over flow box that hangs inside your display tank.From there it gets siphoned through the U-tube into another box that hangs outside the tank.Thus its call a hang on back overflow.

Yes,get a overflow box.

I would just wait and do it proper.

I am almost set on waiting to do it proper, although I appreciate all the info given. My next question is define proper

What Size (For 55 gallons) -
Refugium - is this needed for a proper sump -
How many chambers -

Basically how would you describe a sump needed for a 55 gallon tank?

Thanks again

I ran a 10 gallon plastic tub from wal-mart for a sump. It worked great. the only problem is there aren't anyway to make a bubbletrap. so, you will get microbubbles in you're tank.

a refugium isn't required for a proper sump. but, they do make it nice. you can throw in some sand, live rock, and macro algae. they are good for nutrient export, and a place for live "pods" to breed.

I agree about the overflow box. it's the best way to go with an existing setup. if you are starting new, get a predilled.

here's a pic of my sump/refugium. it's just the basic, run of the mill diy sump that most people use. they are relatively cheap to build versus buying a prebuilt.
001_32196.JPG

A canister will cause you more trouble than its worth on a reef tank.
If you want some mechanical filtration,you can get a filter sock to use for that.
But all thats really needed is 1 to 2 pounds of rock per gallon of tank size and a good skimmer.

Yes, I have 45lbs of live rock that will be here Thursday. I know that is not quite 1 lbs per gallon but it is close. Since I am still cycling my tank I am going to cure the rock in my tank. Will that be enough rock to go without the filter? I will probably get more rock once I have a sump to put it in, I just did not want to crowded of a tank.

Got to agree. Go with a sump with fuge. The LR will act as a filter. Get rid of the filter and use a good protein skimmer.

Here is a pic of a standard overflow box. I would seek out something like this (minus the salt creep)

PA060002.jpg

half goes into the tank and half hangs over the back. Hoses go down into the sump and a return pump puts it back into the tank. The overflow box in the tank keeps all the water from leaking out all over your floor and you can adjust the height to match how full you want your tank and sump.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

fishbait, is that a 10 gallon sump you have there? or is that bigger? I like that design... I should remake mine with a small fuge like that some time, get a new tank for 9.99 and spend another 10$ on materials...

Because I have no room under my tank I thought I would design one to stand beside my tank. I would like to know what you guys think.

Sump2.jpg

Sump1.jpg

Sump.jpg

I figured I would split the drain line in two and limit the flow into the Refugium.

Back