Newby to the saltwater group

Ocho

Reefing newb
I do not know if iam ready for he challenge of the 120gal saltwater tank,just coming from a freshwater tank. Everyone I talk to says that iam going to get tired of reading about all of the ins,and outs of having a saltwater tank so god forgive my for the fish iam about to kill.....:frustrat:

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. As long as you're willing to follow our advise and do your needed research, there won't be a need for apologies. :)

Hello and Welcome!!!

Just take it slow, do your research and will keep you from losing stuff. Believe it or not, we are pretty good at helping people get off to a great start around here :)

I would suggest you start by reading the articles and stickies on the site

I can't wait, the tank that iam buying is already set up but he dose not have any living rock in it and has had a couple of crashes. I have visited my local reef store and he suggested that liviving rock helps keep it stable. So iam doing research now and moving he tank from his house to mine tomorrow. Wish me luck. Iam glad to have found some real time help and will try to post pics of my progress to keep getting advice and also to show you guys/girls that your advice is what is keep me on the right track thanks Ocho :whoopee!:

To keep costs down, you can buy dry/dead reef rock at the fraction of the cost of live rock. Then throw in a few pieces of live rock to seed the rest. I would take any fish. if any, that the guy to the fish store for some credit. Then star completely over. IMO, it will be less headaches.

There are sites that show how to actually make your own rocks out of cement and aragonite sand. It takes months to properly cure it so that they don't effect the pH of your tank. But that will cost even less than the dry rock.

Thanks for the heads up.i know I have a lot to learn.iam going to a skydiving boogie for a couple of weeks,so iall start the knowledge attack then thank for everything so far.
Ocho out!

Back