Newly obsessed :)

jr7168

Artic Reefer!
Hello fellow fish enthusiast. I have been scouring your sight for information as i am new to the saltwater world. I am reading, heeding, and taking advise from every direction. I will tell you what my intentions are: 1) Love hobbies and very interested in the challenge of building a habitat :) 2) building a tank for myself and my 2 lil ones. they love love love fish! I hope to gain alot of knowledge and meet some nice people on here! Here is what i got to get started

I have 3g round freshwater with a yellow molly, 2 hybrid gf (green/pink)

10g salt water tank (was initial build but i'm taking everyones advise)

29g salt water tank ( gonna build me a live painting :) )
For my 29g:
accessories:
Marine Land Bio-wheel Penguin 100
Tetra 10-30i Power filter
Tetra 50w submersible heater
Carib-sea Arag-alive reef live sand 40 lbs
8lb live rock; 10lb primo rock
Oceanic Sea Salt mix
Aqua Culture 20-60g dual chamber air pump with 10" wand & stone
Coralife T-5 30" light
Instant Ocean hydrometer
API stress coat

I hope i got a good start. and dang its more expensive then i anticipated but i do it right or not at all.

Welcome to the site. New new to really give advice about the salt tanks, but it seems like the 3 gallon freshwater is over stocked.

I also know people will tell you ditch the biowhell filter.

Anyhow welcome and enjoy the site, lots of helpful people here.

in my fresh water all fish are under 1" but its just colorful stuff for the kiddo's. i read that too about the biowheel. Do you just let the water push over without the wheel?

i would probably ditch the hang on back power filters all together as they are not too greatly suited for saltwater.
i here they are nitrate factories and will give u alot of problems in the long run.
u can build a diy sump setup for super cheap. probably less than what u would get if u sold ur penguin on cl.
just my 2cents.
also...do u have the air stone blowing bubbles INSIDE your aquarium?

Last edited:
right now i have just 17 gallons in the tank as i just added the water i am using the stone and stuff to stir the water. then i will add my 10g into the 29g

u should probably just fill that tank up and at least get it goin enough to let it cycle. but i would use that time to get a skimmer and a sump set up or set up an algea scrubber.
like u said... might as well do it right or not at all.
theres tons of info around here on how to build a scrubber and sumps and fugiums.
i even have a diy skimmer that works superb.
it doesnt have to be expensive but it might take a bit of elbow grease... and patience of course.

Last edited:
I think you need to get rid of both filters and change to powerheads. You also probably want a 100-150 watt heater. Also take the airstone out, but it sounds like you planned that already. The rest sounds good.

Hello and Welcome!

+1 on ditching the filters and bubbler, they wont be helpful in saltwater tank and really just cause more issues.

You should get some powerheads to move the water around.

You will also need more rock, you want 1-2 lbs per gallon.

Look into getting a refractometer, they are much more accurate than a hydrometer. Plus hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so, and in a year it will be cheaper to have the refractometer.

Also the stress coat is also a freshwater technology that give really poor results in a saltwater tank. It can cause a lot of the saltwater equipment (skimmers) to malfunction and I dont think using it gives any real benefit.

Finally, the rule for stocking a tank is one small fish for every 10 gallons, so you are going to be able to keep 3 fish in there. Also not every fish will live happily in that size tank so do your research BEFORE you buy it. This goes for everything, there is lots of crappy stuff out there and creatures that have no business being in our tanks.

i cant make them work for a lil while to get my tank up and running before i introduce? i know it be a bit before i introduce fish. the LFS guy told me it should suffice for now to move water around. Also all my salt water is mixed its been a couple hours can i introduce my live sand now?

Also all my salt water is mixed its been a couple hours can i introduce my live sand now?

remember, the guys at the lfs are always trying to sell u something...

whats good about those hang on back power filters is u always gotta go back and buy the cartridges.

also u should let ur salt and water stir for at least 24hrs.

okay i will let this cycle for 24 hrs then put my live sand/live rock in water tomorrow and on wed i buy a water pusher.

sweet i guess i could always turn my 10g into a solo act for something simple. use my filters in it. and get a powerhead for my big boy.

usually like a 10 gallon. hang on filter and a heater....bare bottom tank...

as for a nano...check out the deco kits and the picotopes.

Back