NewPortRichey's Tank Rebound!

NewPortRichey

Sushi Anyone????????????
Ok, some of you might have seen my posting in the Newb section so I'm going to continue it here. Here's the link to that thread:

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/newbies-reefing/10116-here-we-go-pics-inside-yes-i-need-help.html

Much has happened since I ventured out to learn how to do things properly. I'm currently monitoring everything in my tank for a couple more weeks and then I'll be adding some corals, finally!

:sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish:

Happy to hear your tanks getting better.
Why not post some before and after pics over here to?That we can all see how its going.

Hello all, I've got a lot of photos coming. Much has been done. Weekly water changes, new aquascaping, etc. I've even added a mushroom coral and a cleaner shrimp. Below you'll see my tank progression up to what it looks like today. If someone is reading this thread trying to figure out what to do the link on the first page is extremely helpful. Enjoy......keep reading......I'm going to build my own sump and would like some input.
IMG00024.jpg

IMG00023.jpg

IMG00022.jpg

Ya, I had a serious algae problem!
IMG00021.jpg

IMG00027.jpg

More ugly tank pics.....
IMG00028.jpg

Changing things around.....
DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN2978.jpg

I got rid of the bio-balls........
DSCN2982.jpg

Added a HOB Refugium........
DSCN2985.jpg

Starting to look better.........
DSCN2986.jpg

DSCN2987.jpg

DSCN2988.jpg

DSCN2989.jpg

Cleaning the electrical up.........
DSCN2990.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

RIP Mr. Clam...........
DSCN0712.jpg

DSCN0713.jpg

The coraline is starting to be seen againl............
DSCN0714.jpg

HERE"S WHAT WE HAVE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCN3086.jpg

DSCN3087.jpg

HAITIAN PINK TIP ANEMONE.........
DSCN3092.jpg

FILTER SOCK............
DSCN3095.jpg

A FEW GREEN MUSHROOMS..............
DSCN3096.jpg

HERE'S A LITTLE GETTING TO KNOW US. MY NAME IS MIKE AND THIS IS MY FIANCE RACHEAL. WE'RE ALSO PLANNING A WEDDING AND A MUCH NEEDED VACATION/HONEYMOON. THE WEDDING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER ON NOVEMBER 3RD....................
us.jpg

THIS IS OUR BIG GUY ALPHA, A 150 LB. GREAT DANE...........
raynalpa.jpg

THIS IS OUR LITTLE GUY MOUSE..................
mouse.jpg

AND WE'RE HEAVILY INTO MOTORCYCLES...............
THIS IS MY STUNT BIKE..........
STOPPIE.jpg

stip2.jpg

AND MY 04' GIXXER 1000, GOTTA LOVE LITER BIKES........
stip3.jpg

AND THIS WAS TAKEN LAST YEAR, WE WERE NEVER COUGHT.......
ACTUALLY, IT WAS MOSTLY AN ACCIDENT, WE NEVER NOTICED THE STATE TROOPER THERE UNTIL WE LOOKED AT THE PHOTOS. GOOD THING WE HAD THE CAMERA ON MAX PHOTO SIZE/QUALITY. YOU COULD BARELY MAKE THIS OUT ON THE ORIGINAL..........
nevercought.jpg

AND IF ANYONE PLAYS GEARS ON XBOX 360 I'M DOWN FOR WHATEVER......
gears.jpg

Ok, so, i've had it with my sump. I'm going to purchase say a 20 gallon and put some baffles in it. I'd like to have a refugium and a big a$$ section for huge skimmer. Does anyone have any photos/schematics for anything like this? I've looked around and gotten some great ideas.

Wow, your tank looks a million times better than when you started. Talk about a rebound. Excellent work -- I'm so happy that it's paid off!

If you want a big section for a sump and a refugium, I would recommend getting a 20 long rather than high. My last sump was a 20 high and my compartments had to be really small because of that. For mine, I had three sections -- one for equipment (heaters, skimmer, phosphate reactor, etc.), then the refugium, then a section for the return pump. I had plexiglass baffles (1/4" thick) between each one, with a bubble trap between the equipment section and the fuge. It was super easy.

I just made my 55 into a sump and it also has the same three sections, but I left out the bubble trap this time. Found I just didn't need it. That is basically the most simple design out there. There is so much more you could do if you want to get complicated about it.

Wow, your tank looks a million times better than when you started. Talk about a rebound. Excellent work -- I'm so happy that it's paid off!

If you want a big section for a sump and a refugium, I would recommend getting a 20 long rather than high. My last sump was a 20 high and my compartments had to be really small because of that. For mine, I had three sections -- one for equipment (heaters, skimmer, phosphate reactor, etc.), then the refugium, then a section for the return pump. I had plexiglass baffles (1/4" thick) between each one, with a bubble trap between the equipment section and the fuge. It was super easy.

I just made my 55 into a sump and it also has the same three sections, but I left out the bubble trap this time. Found I just didn't need it. That is basically the most simple design out there. There is so much more you could do if you want to get complicated about it.

Thanks Biffer, you're always online :bounce:. I was just checking yours out, I think that's the route I'm going to take. Three maybe four sections, the first with a filter sock, second with a huge skimmer and the third for a return. If I add a fourth it will be for the refugium. But I just got this HOB one so I don't know. We'll see. I'll be hitting the LFS for a long tank and then Lowes on the way home. I'm excited. :bounce::sfish::bounce::sfish::bounce::sfish::bounce::sfish::bounce::sfish::bounce::sfish:

Go with a sump/tank the biggest you can fit in the space provided.I think a 36'' long 29 gallon would fit.

Cool, that's exactly what I'll be hunting for at the LFS tomorrow..........

So, I just need some plexi and glass glue to do this right? I'm hunting online for a protein skimmer that would fit. Any suggestions? Do you know how wide that 29 gallon is?

Sheite, I'm researching protein skimmers.........to no avail...........recommendations? I think I've got atleast 14 inches in depth, and 3.5 feet in lengto to play with in searching for a sump.

Is 14" the distance from the base of the sump to the base of the main tank? This will be the height you have to play with. Most manufacturers/retailers will publish the actual height AND the clearance required to be able to remove the collection cup.
The cheapest / reasonable performance favorite seems to be the Coralife Superskimmer (I have 2 but have never had anything else so can't really give you a comparison - but they seem to do the job). You would need the 125 model which need about 25" height from base of sump to base of tank (I think) - you could always hang it on the back though of course...

The footprint is pretty small - so you should be ok - but check first.

I believe the 29g. is 12'' wide.(front to back)

I've heard so many good things about the Octopus skimmer.Similar price as a Coralife SS.Both are about the best for the money maybe the Octopus being slightly better.Make sure you get one that fits in the space and allows you to remove the collection cup.

congrats on your upcoming wedd..tank is really looking good everytime..nice work...i love bikes too ..i had an yamaha r6 2002..sold it when i moved to PR..i missed her very much..i should have trade it for my wife lol..keep pics coming and good luck!!

Ok, glorious, I've got this dirt-looking like stuff everywhere in the tank. Forgive me I don't totally understand the cycling process yet but is this the beginning of a cycle? How can it be? Tank has been up and running almost 1.5 years! Maybe I did too much/many water changes? Anyhow, shedding some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Back