News on the M-Tank Halides

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
Hi Matt! Ken the owner of Finnex said the 150w and the 250 (with a fan) will raise
about 2 degrees in a normal 8 hour lighting period, he said though like I mentioned
it has a lot also to do with ambient temp and humidity in your house he said if your
house is below 79 you should be OK, he said not that many people use chillers on these
tanks they get by with just fans. Also note the dual fan is out of stock, as much as I don't
like giving the competition business I think fosters carries a nice dual fan, if and when you
are ready to purchase the tank if you let me know what you would like I will give you a grand total.

I think anything to get the air moving over the top of the water to disperse the heat coming from the halides will work. Those fans are pretty cool, thinking about looking into them myself, or something like them...

Last edited:
ok here's the main question I have

30 gallon with 48 w T-5 150 Halide or with 48 T-5 250 Halide (only a $49 difference)

Can I keep almost anything under the 150s?

You can pick up a couple of little cheap clip on fans at wal-mart that will do the same job and wont cost you near as much money.
As long as you have some fresh air blowing between the light and the water surface it will keep it cooler.

I agree, the 150mh would be good, the 250 would just cook the surface, unless you could get it high off the tank..

I bought some small fans at taget to keep my home theater equipment cooled off, amps and cable boxes get really hot. The fans were like $7.99 each.. Work like a champ..

ok, 150 it is, should I still get the fans?

and what do u suggest I get for filter media?

how do I set up a refigium?

I have chaeto in my 12 gallon, do I just put live sand for the bottom and put chaeto in there?

If you want SPS to grow faster than go with 250 watter.You will still get good growth with the 150.Personally,I would go with 250w version since the price difference is only $50.Remember with the cooling fans blowing across the top,your going to get rapid evaporation...get an ATO device.

Put aragonite sand in the refugium and let the tank cycle(you can go with miracle mud or a combo mud/sand).Once ammonia and nitrite goes down to zero then put macro algae in the fuge.Chaeto and shaving brush is my favorite macro algae.

I would skip the bio media-use carbon in a bag and use the sponge filter that comes with the kit.

Yes,I would get cooling fans to blow across the surface and a ATO.

Last edited:
If you want SPS to grow faster than go with 250 watter.You will still get good growth with the 150.Personally,I would go with 250w version since the price difference is only $50.Remember with the cooling fans blowing across the top,your going to get rapid evaporation...get an ATO device.

won't the evaporation be alot less with the 150 though, how much water do you think I will lose a day with the 150 and the 250

One,its a open tank so thats going to get a lot of evap.Two,MH is only going to make it worst.I don't think 150w or 250w is going to make a difference.I can only guess but I'm thinking at least a gallon a day.Not saying you need to get one right away but plan on it in the future.Corals and inverts don't like getting freshwater dumped on it and the constant change in salinity.

One,its a open tank so thats going to get a lot of evap.Two,MH is only going to make it worst.I don't think 150w or 250w is going to make a difference.I can only guess but I'm thinking at least a gallon a day.Not saying you need to get one right away but plan on it in the future.Corals and inverts don't like getting freshwater dumped on it and the constant change in salinity.

yea I'm planning on going with the 150 MH, but do I need an ATO, would it fit in this cabinet with the wires/tube going out the back, and could you recommend any?

Back