Nike and Tiger sink to a new low.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Picasso

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

Well based on your definition that would make games such as marbles, yiddley winks, yard darts and jax a sport!

So if I was to finally relent, and say okay, bowling and golf are sports, I'd have to add it the fact that one does not need any sort of athletic ability to participate in them.

fastrd400, Apr 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

Reason being softball is being taken out is the fact that the US women have cosistantly kicked the :pooh: out of any and every other country to take the field against them.

fastrd400, Apr 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

No, bowling is nothing out of the ordinary as far as physical exertion goes.

First of all, the ball is being rolled underhand, which takes a lot less strength and physical activity than throwing the ball overhand does. I'd be really impressed if these so-called athletes could throw that bowling ball overhand and have it fly through the air and nail the pins. But they're not. They're rolling it underhand, on the ground. Gravity and momentum are doing the work for them, not working against them.

Next, 16 to 18 lbs is not a lot of weight. That weighs less than my cats. Any woman that has ever had a child has had to carry around more weight in her arms than the bowling ball for hours on end, on a daily basis, for years. A man in a bowling league does it for a few hours, while being seated most of the time in between turns, and all of a sudden that makes him an athlete? Shit, I carry into the house more than that in groceries when I go the store. Rolling a ball that weighs less than 20 lbs, underhand, is not physical exertion.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Bifferwine, Apr 11, 2010
  4. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Definition says nothing about it having to be some extraordinary feat of physical exertion for it to be considered a sport. It just states physical activity.

Also, those baseball players do an awful lot of sitting waiting for their turn to bat. Especially the DH. Does that take away any of baseballs "sport"ness. Also, when they are in the field, a good portion of them are just standing there waiting for the ball to be hit. Not alot of physical exertion. I would say just a tad bit more than a bowler waiting his turn to bowl.

By definition, both bowling and golf are sports. They might not be as physically demanding as other sports, but they are sports none the less.

bjohanson1234, Apr 11, 2010
  5. Picasso

Cathic Fish Wrangler

Again, do it or 9 hours a day for 2 days Biff it is physical exertion. Also bowling is recognized as a sport by the IOC.

Cathic, Apr 11, 2010
  6. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Not my definition, Webster's Dictionary definition. Marbles could be considered a sport. Same as tiddley winks, yard darts, and jax. Just because you dont sweat while doing them doesnt make them not a sport. Just because you can get the knack of the game by playing it a few times does not exclude it from being a sport.

7. Picasso

Then it appears like any and every activity is a sport. Which includes getting up in the middle of the night to use the toilet.

fastrd400, Apr 11, 2010
  8. Picasso

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

You forgot to mention dodgeball!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXP9yoc4VY]YouTube - If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball![/ame]

motorcyclereefer, Apr 11, 2010
  9. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

No because in order to be considered a sport, you need to do it for recreation. Not many people do that as a diversion or form of recreation

10. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Actually, it is not part of definition 1a. It is definition 1c(1) If you feel the need to group 1a with 1c, you must also include 1b. So unless sex is involved, according to how you are telling me to read the definition, it is not a sport

11. Picasso

dcantucson

Is this yet another example of someone arguing simply because their ideals do not match with the reality of the subject. Could BOTH parties be correct? Is it possible to say there are good arguments on both sides. Is it possible to HAVE AN OPEN MIND? It is so necessary to when such a pointless argument? Really? 20 pages?

dcantucson, Apr 11, 2010
  12. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Geez dcan, way to spoil the fun :grumble: And it is only 5, if you have your settings to 40 posts per page not 10:mrgreen:

13. Picasso

dcantucson

Oh. Okay. I retract my comment. :lol:

dcantucson, Apr 11, 2010
  14. Picasso

I'm calling BS! You ever write your name on the side of a building?

fastrd400, Apr 11, 2010
  15. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Nope never have

16. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

You can also call BS all day. Doesnt change the definition of sport. As provided by Webster's. Just because it doesnt fit what you want the definition to be doesnt mean it isnt the definition.

17. Picasso

cthegame

like i said before, TO ME, there is a difference between what you can consider a sport and whether that sport is an athletic sport or not...if you go by the dictionary defination, poker can be a sport...who cares.

Anyways, ok golfers & bowlers you are athletes. wear your slacks and get on that field...i suppose its hard to play a sport in slacks so yea respect is earned :bowdown:

cthegame, Apr 11, 2010
  18. Picasso

Ummmm, no. You have not, and will not earn the respect of me. The fact that you participate in an activity that can fall under the vague definition as a sport, along with marbles, jax, and lawn darts does not make you an athlete. It never will. If anyone can pick up the such an activity, and do well is itself a statement that it can require little to no athletic aboility what so ever.

fastrd400, Apr 12, 2010
  19. Picasso

cthegame

well im with you on this but I give up. Some people convince themselves by arguing whether they have a real argument or not. As long as you just argue i guess it must be a valid point This is like a sport political thread lol

cthegame, Apr 12, 2010
  20. Picasso

dcantucson

We now have to limit the threads. No thread can have the subject matter of politics, religion, or sports! There, we're all safe now! :lol: :mrgreen:

dcantucson, Apr 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question