Nike and Tiger sink to a new low.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Picasso

cthegame

cthegame, Apr 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

cthegame

what does that even mean? anything can be called a "sport"...like poker or driving a car...but whether their "sport" makes them athletes is a whole different story.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    cthegame, Apr 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

cthegame

and how much does it take to win the tour the france? give me a realistic comparison between driving a ball 300 yards vs, 3 weeks (every day, except for a few rest days) riding the bike for at least 80 miles daily (some days up hill)...what a joke golf is compared to a real athletic sport.

cthegame, Apr 11, 2010
  4. Picasso

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

John Daly will answer is golf a sport or not...Just before the video starts, he extinguished his cigarette. And yes that's a Tallboy he's teeing off on. And my dirtball homey Kid Rock is on the course. Definitely not a sport. I still love John Daly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqbfXj_Wp0"]YouTube - John Daly Tee Shot Off Beer Can[/ame]

PRC, Apr 11, 2010
  5. Picasso

ltljokersbetterhalf ltljokers #1

and for all to know golf is now being put in the 2014 olympics:mrgreen: it is replacing what yall call a sport. girls softball:grumble:

ltljokersbetterhalf, Apr 11, 2010
  6. Picasso

rwynn Big Daddy

You obviously have never seen Tiger, he makes anyone around him, regardless of their training and which sport they are associated with look like a weak high schooler.

rwynn, Apr 11, 2010
  7. Picasso

rwynn Big Daddy

Edited for not being PC and overall jerkiness...lol

Go Tiger!

rwynn, Apr 11, 2010
  8. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

I love how everyone is ignoring the definition of sport. The one that says it is an activity you do for FUN. You might not like the definition, but it is what it is.

Also, going and saying something is a game negates it from being a sport is not a strong argument either. When two teams play baseball, what is it called? A baseball GAME. Football? A football GAME. So therefore, baseball and football are not sports but games.

bjohanson1234, Apr 11, 2010
  9. Picasso

rwynn Big Daddy

+1 BJ...although my original post was more caustic.

rwynn, Apr 11, 2010
  10. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

Obviously something can be a game and a sport at the same time. No one is arguing that! No one is arguing with the dictionary definition of "sport" either, BJ.

What people are taking issue with is the part of the dictionary definition that states a sport has to be a PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. People that don't think golf and bowling are sports do not think those activities are physical enough to be qualified as a sport. Period. That's what the argument is. Not about whether people play it for fun, not whether it's scored, etc.

THIS is why people (including myself) don't believe that bowling, golf, darts, NASCAR, etc. are sports:

As for rock climbing, I beg to differ that it is not a sport. It meets my definition of a sport. There are professional rock climbers. There are scored and timed competitions. There are teams. I would know. NDB was a professional rock climber in his 20s. He had sponsors and everything. And rock climbing is one of the most physically demanding activities you can participate in. It is effing hard. When we first started dating, he'd rock climb 3 or 4 times a week after work, and on both of his days off, all day long. He had to stop when he had surgery on his ankle. Rock climbers have amazing bodies and have to be in amazing shape. Rock climbing may not be a game, and it may also be a hobby to many people, but to a lot of people it is a sport as well. The rock climbers that I have met through NDB have the best bodies of any athletes I've ever seen, and they work HARD. Go on any real rock climbing trip -- I guarantee you will not find one overweight person there. You just can't do it if you are out of shape.

THIS takes incredible fitness to pull off. I can understand how you could not think this is a sport if you are not familiar with the competitive side of rock climbing, but there is no arguing that these people are athletes in every sense of the word:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuyDiV7B2sg[/ame]

Bifferwine, Apr 11, 2010
  11. Picasso

BL1 ............. Moderator

that was awesome Biff, that guy is a total freak of nature

BL1, Apr 11, 2010
  12. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

He's dead. He died doing a stunt similar to that. He's probably the most famous free-climber (not using any ropes or safety gear) in the world. But he was insane and reckless.

There was a huge investigation into his death, by the companies whose gear he was using, by the climbing community and by police. It was officially ruled an accident. But it's still debated whether his death was a suicide or accident. NDB and many other climbers thinks it was suicide -- he says that man was way too skilled, knowledgeable and experienced to have made such a rookie mistake as the one that killed him, that he had to have done it on purpose, knowing it would cause equipment failure and lead to his death. And it was a very obvious, rookie mistake that he made with ropes that caused his death. Something anyone that had even the most basic climbing experience could have avoided, and it was a mistake that would have had to been made deliberately. It's quite an interesting story.

Bifferwine, Apr 11, 2010
  13. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Biff, you are only picking and choosing what you want as the definition. You totaly ignored the very first one on there. You cant just say well, I dont think that one fits in with my idea of what it is so therefore I wont use it. A sport is something you do to get away hence the diversion. Something you do for RECREATION. if NDB like to rockclimb, that is fine. SOme people like to fish, also a sport hence there are what are considered sport fish. Bowling is a sport.

Also, argueing that a profesional bowler cant ride a bike as well as lance armstrong to prove your point about bowling not being a sport is in my oppinion an invalid argument. I could use the same agrument to say that because Lance Armstong cont hit a 100 mph fastball out of the ball park that means that Cycling isnt a sport. Then go to say that because Frank Thomas cant hurdle and bounce off of 300+ lb defensive linemen like Walter Payton did makes baseball not a sport. Then go to say that Walter Payton couldnt bowl a 900 series like some probowler that makes football not a sport. Those type of arguments are invalid and inconclusive.

Hate to tell you this, but bowling is a sport, and so is almost any activity that you can do for pleasure. Just like the definition says.

14. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

No, you are misreading the dictionary entry. Physical activity is part of definition 1a. Not just "diversion" or "recreation" -- but diversion or recreation that entails physical activity.

Bifferwine, Apr 11, 2010
  15. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Then why is the synonym of sport fun?

16. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

Because sports are fun. There's no arguing about that. There are synonyms to words that don't apply to every situation. A synonym is not the same as a definition. And a synonym is not the only thing that makes a word.

Look at the word "container" from the thesaurus:
    alembic, bag, beaker, bin, bottle, bowl, box, bucket, bunker, caisson, can, canister, canteen, capsule, carafe, carton, cask, casket, cauldron, chamber, chest, churn, cistern, cradle, crate, crock, dish, ewer, firkin, flask, hamper, hod, hopper, humidor, hutch, jar, jeroboam, jug, kettle, magnum, package, packet, pail, pit, pod, poke, pot, pottery, pouch, purse, receptacle, reliquary, repository, sac, sack, scuttle, stein, storage, tank, tub, utensil, vase, vat, vessel, vial

Those are all the synonyms listed for container. That doesn't mean they are the same word or have the same meaning. It means in certain situations, they can be interchangeable.

Obviously a bag is not a box is not a chest is not a pod is not a purse is not a vial. But those are all synonyms for container.

Here BJ, these are the synonyms of "sport" from the thesaurus:
    action, amusement, athletics, ball, disport, diversion, exercise, frolic, fun, fun and games, gaiety, game, games, pastime, physical activity, picnic, play, pleasure, recreation

Obviously, synonyms do not have the exact same meaning as each other. If you insist that a word means what its synonym does (as you did in your post), then by your own definition, an activity must include a ball, frolicking and a picnic to be considered a sport.

Your logic fails.

Bifferwine, Apr 11, 2010
  17. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Sorry, but I believe you are misreading the definition. One definition is for use as a diversion or recreation, one use is for sexual play, andother is used for physical activity. And that is just in the first use of the word "sport"

So according to the definitons, bowling is a sport. Even if it doesnt require the same amount of physical activity as something like rock climbing. Just because something requires more physical activity than something else doesnt make it more of a sport.

It does take training to be able to bowl an averarge of 280. Sorry but saying "because I bowled over a hundered the first time I bowled so therefore it doesnt take any physical activity" isnt valid either. It takes skill and physical training to bowl consistantly high averages. And by high I mean over 250. Breaking 100 is easy almost anyone can do it. Just like almost anyone can go play park district soft ball doesnt make softball less of a sport.

18. Picasso

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

The fact that a bowler can't ride a bike like Lance holds no water. They also can't hit a fast ball, throw or catch a pass, run for a first down...........etc. There are many, many professional basketball, football and baseball players that do bowl and play golf on the side...............and are very good at it. The fact that most any professional sports athlete can participate in and be competative in these activities when they are not what they trained for and played their entire lives only adds to the argument that there must not be that much skill or athletisism involved. How many bowlers or golfers do you see making the transition over to any other sport for fun? And make it look as if they know what they are doing?

The fact that Frank Thomas doesn't hurdle defensive linemen doesn't mean that he can't or couldn't do it. I'd bet in his day he could have run through some guys. The fact that Walter couldn't hit a fast ball means nothing as well. Both of these pros trained exclusivly for their sport of choice, and they may have played several different sports during their lifetime and just happened to excell at what they chose.

What about John Elway? He was drafted as a professional baseball player as well as a football player. Darin Erstad won a national title with the University of Nebraska in football before accepting a contract as a professional baseball player. Can you find or name any golfer or bowler that has the same resume?

Have you ever seen any celebrity golf match? There are just as many celebrities as pro golfers. Some are movies stars, some are T.V. stars, and some are sports stars. They all can play, maybe not turn pro or make a comfortable living at it, but they can perform. The flip side of this coin is...............have you ever seen any sort of football or baseball game like that? No, why, because they are much higher skilled athletes that participate in those activities.

fastrd400, Apr 11, 2010
  19. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

As does yours in saying that throwing a 16-18 pound ball down the lane isnt considered physical. As in my last post, yes it requires less physical activity than football, but it still requires trained physical activity.

20. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

But it still doesnt make it less of a sport because anyone can do it. Based on the definition of sport so provided

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question