Nitrate High

jayb123

Reefing newb
My skimmer broke a few weeks ago and I am waiting for a part, my only filtration at this point is my sump. My nitrate levels were at zero now they bumped up to around 20, everything else is fine at this point. Other than a partial water change is there anything else I can do to lower that? THanks, J

Do you have any cheato in the sump? Any macroalgae at all? Mangrove tree?

If not, then change water every 3 or 4 days if you have too. I never have any nitrates in my tank, but if I had more than 5ppm, I'd be going nuts and changing water like crazy. You might monitor it and see how much water and how often you need to change it. Maybe you can do 25% once a week or it might take 10% every other day. You'll have to see how fast it builds up in your system.

20 is fine for nitrates. Do you have any corals or inverts? I would keep it 20 or below if you have corals or inverts, but if you have fish only, 20 isn't going to do anything. Nitrates at 20 ppm is not worth doing giant water changes every day. That will be more stressful to the animals than the nitrates themselves.

There is filter media that removes nitrates (Kent Marine and Seachem both make one), it looks like white carbon. But that takes several weeks of use before it kicks in and makes a difference.

Chaeto is a type of macroalgae -- chaetomorpha. Again, adding macroalgae isn't going to lower your nitrates overnight either.

The worst thing you're going to see happen with nitrates at 20 is MAYBE a little bit of an algae bloom. And even so, 20 isn't high enough to create a big algae problem.

Like Biff said,20 aint that bad.But I'd be tripping over it myself.
If its been a week or so since your last waterchange,then go ahead and do one.
Just try not to let the trates get any higher than 20.

I ran a fully stocked 120 for a year with nitrates flutuating between 40 and 60. I still dont recomend that but thats just to say dont stress. 20 is not hurting anything unless you have alot of money invested in SPS. the best and quickest way to lower it is water changes. but you dont want to go overboard on those either cause to many to frequently will be more stressful than the nitrates. Also if you have a good bit of live rock in your tank then you need to take out the bioballs in the sump if you have any. bioballs are nice for fish only tanks or tanks with very little live rock, but in reef tanks with live rock they are nitrate factories. Good luck

All great advice. Somehow, nutrients are entering into your tank faster than they are used. cut down on feedings to be every other day. You could even add more live rock (still not a quick fix though), without bioballs. I reflect what has been said, don't stress about 20ppm.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back