Nitrate Reactor Comparison

Probably a good question to ask is why you think you need a nitrate reactor in the first place. I do not know one person that uses one, because there are other very easy, very cheap methods of keeping nitrates low. A clump of chaetomorpha algae will bring your nitrates down to zero in a couple months, requires no maintenance, and will only cost you a few bucks.

Probably a good question to ask is why you think you need a nitrate reactor in the first place. I do not know one person that uses one, because there are other very easy, very cheap methods of keeping nitrates low. A clump of chaetomorpha algae will bring your nitrates down to zero in a couple months, requires no maintenance, and will only cost you a few bucks.

I only have one fish who doesn't require much feeding and nitrates tend to stay at about 30 ppm. I do about a 20% water change once every few weeks and have a big thing of caulerpa in my filter tank. I'm hopping to get a couple more fish and possibly corals. I've heard that 30 ppm is too high for corals. Maybe I don't exactly need a $300 nitrate reactor... Advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would start with a 30 gallon water change every 2 weeks, like clockwork. I vacuum my sand, so it is stirred by me on a regular basis and nitrate are not allowed to form and hold there. Get yourself some chaeto from Biff.

Last edited:
Get yourself some chat from Buff.

LOL he means chaeto from Biff. ;)

I can send you some chaeto if you PM me your details. It's much better than caulerpa. A protein skimmer would help too. Do you have a sump? If no, you could get a HOB protein skimmer. Check out the Reef Octopus brand. A good skimmer will cost about half of what a nitrate reactor will cost.

Also, are you using tap water? If so, you should stop, and use RODI water instead.

I've been reading about chaeto and everyone is super positive about it. If I got some chaeto would I still need a protein skimmer? Would a work light be strong enough for it? And I heard they need a lot of water flow, but how much?

Last edited:
Depending on your sump size, I would look into a Bubble Magus NAC6 or NAC7. Both are above average, affordable skimmers that would work very well on your tank.

so its close to their double water volume. Also just because they wrote a great review for the product doesnt always mean they know what they are doing. When we tell you want twice your water volume for optimal skimmer performance, we mean it. Trust the knowledge of the successful reefers who have come before you.

Back