Nitrates Down?

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
my nitrates are up, im doin my weekly water change 10%....

i hear their are some nitrate plants, that help reduce nitrate what are these plants called?

Last edited:
Macro algae or mangrove plantlets will do this, but its better if you find the source of the high nitrates and eliminate them.

How much fish you got in there? You can change your carbon more often too.
That will lower them I use 2 50 gl fillters and change once a month and I have little nitrate problems. Also I feed every other day. They eat every last bite!

well i have a 29gallon biocube, and i have 2 clown-fishes 1 1/2inches long. and 1 damsel 1 inch long i would just like my levels to be almost 0 they r ok but u know just go that extra mile to drop them. and i just started doin water changed with r/o water so should that help?

If you have a sump with enough room place a remote deep sand bed here. Find a tupperware container that will fit into your sump and provide a sand bed of at least four inches deep.

Sugar fine sand works best and play sand can be used. Fill Tupperware container with sand and put the lid on. Slide down into sump and remove lid. Your done. Wait two weeks to a month and trates should come down.

Once a year I replace mine which consist of putting the lid back on the tuperware container and pulling the whole bed out of the sump and replacing the sand.

Provided enough flow through the sump and even a small bed should show results for your size tank. Say 6x6x4.

What are you feeding and how much? Use frozen only, not flakes or pellets.

What kind of water do you use for your water changes? If you don't use RODI water, you are probably just replacing the old water with nitrate filled new water.

Back