Nitrates & Nitrites

i doubt that it does, i dont know of any articles that would mention that, but i guess the only way to know is for the next time you make a batch of water for a water change use instant ocean and test it for rites and rates

I highly doubt that it does. It wouldnt be the number one selling brand for years and years if it did IMO.

It says on the bucket it's nitrate free. Also when I ran a test on fresh made up water I got none for both.

Any salt brands that you buy will not contain nitrates or nitrites, since they are toxic to reef tanks.

Nitrites and nitrates are coming from too many fish, too much feeding, insufficient filtration, feeding flakes or pellets instead of frozen food, fish added too quickly, using tap water instead of RODI water, or something dying in the tank (among other things, those are the most common causes).

Since you are seeing nitrites, your bacterial bioload is not large enough to handle the fish you have in your tank. In a tank that has sufficient bacteria, you should never see nitrite spikes (nitrate spikes are a lot more common, and a lot less harmful).

If you don't have a lot of fish, or you haven't added any fish in a while, but recently saw the nitrite spike, my bet would be on something dying in the tank.

Last edited:
Thats wierd, i have been doing water changes every week since my tank is so small. To cut to the chase i have been doing more frequent waterchanges and nitrates are still to high. What do i do to stop it. let it sit? Dont want to add certain chem.

I dont recall anything dying besides that blood shrimp which was 3 months ago but i lost alot of coral about a month ago Can that be part of (Bifferwine) something dying in the tank.?

Did you take the coral bodies out? Or did they just rot away and disintegrate in the tank? In a small tank like yours, a lot of coral dying off can spike nitrates.

how mcuh water are you changing in it since

IMHO i think you doing them too often and not giving the bacteria enought time to establish itself

how many fish do you ahve in their anyway

Back