nitrates

emmett0122

Reef enthusiast
i just did a 16 gal water change in my tank (55 gal tank 10 gal sump and about 65# of lr) before the water change my nitrates were about 5 after the water change they only dropped 2 ppm or so does this sound right or not also my cal. dropped from 440 ppm to 400 ppm what would cause this

That sounds about right for your nitrates. You change 16 gallons out of 55. Which is less than half. So you will reduce them by less than half. As for the calcium, I would need to know what the new water tested at to tell you if that is where it should have moved to.

That sounds about right for your nitrates. You change 16 gallons out of 55. Which is less than half. So you will reduce them by less than half. As for the calcium, I would need to know what the new water tested at to tell you if that is where it should have moved to.

you mean the water i put into the tank?

Yes. If for some reason it is lower than what your tank is at, a water change will reduce it.

It could just be a fluctuation in your testing. Maybe you put a few too many drops in or the drops could have been different sizes.

ok thanks for the in put next water change i will check the new water. i use coralife marine salt mix the bag says mixing to 1.024 the should be 390 to 410. i mix to 1.026 so it should be a little higher but i will check and see. last water change it raised it but that does mean anything. but again thanks for the help

Back