nitrates

emmett0122

Reef enthusiast
why cant i get me nitrates to drop in my tank? i have changed 36 gals. of water in the past 10 days and my nitrates are not dropping.

no i have blasted the rocks with a turkey baster vac the heck out of the sub straight cleaned the over flow and i just cant get them under 5ppm im really starting to get p/o im at lose here

He means that you're putting more things in your tank that are producing nitrates than how much you are taking out. Maybe try feeding a little less?

There's your problem. Any shells, crushed coral, gravel, etc...will catch and hold detritus until it's slowly released, resulting in high NO^3. Same thing with bioballs and any floss media cartridges, which is why they are discouraged. Socks do the same thing but are much easier maintained every 2-3 days (and cheaper) than replacing sponges or cartridges.

Moral of the story: switch to regular aragonite. Remove small sections daily until you are leftwith just sand. A few scattered shells or coral skeletons won't hurt if you like the aesthetics; it's more natural in most cases anyways.

+1 kbuser....I'd put my money on the substrate. Could also be a bad test kit (I once bought a brand new dropper kit....wouldn't test below 20ppm....did a side-by-side with an LFS kit, and mine was off. The new one I bought was spot on.

And just to be sure, are you using tap or rodi/distilled?

Even if you always vaccuum, there's still gunk. Think of a freshwater tank with gravel and how gross they get. That's happening in your tank, but you have more detritivores in there to consume and break down the waste, but they're not able to keep up. I think if ypu wanted to leave the substrate, you can try adding 6-10 nass snails, a conch of some sort, and/or a sand sifting star.

A brand new 55 gallon tank cannot provide a sand sifting star with enough food.

Switch to sand and get some nass snails.

Everyone has ben saying it since you started posting, Switch to sand and you should be good. You might get a quick small cycle but in the long run it will be worth it.

Back