Nitrite spike during cycle?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I'm cycling my tank, I tested yesterday for Ammonia and still have plenty...I decided to test today for Nitrites to see if they're starting to move at all. My test shows that I've got .20ppm of Nitrite in the tank currently...Is this the beginning of the Nitrite spike? How high can you expect it to get before it starts to drop back down...WHen it spikes does it go past .50ppm or higher?

So, once again I've got the day off. I've only got about 3/4 of the amount of rock that I need for my tank...Again, I'm cycling. Is it safe or ok to add more LR? I don't want to slow down the cycle. Or have the new live rock re-start the cycle. LFS is having a decent little sale on Premium Fiji, I'd like to go take a look.

Will more rock actually speed up the cycle because of the filtration? I'm really kinda' confused about what I should actualy be doing during the cycle (besides staring at the tank). So any info gets a nice click of the thank you button.:bounce:

One other thing, I bought a RO/DI unit that works great, but it's slow as molasses. What I've been doing for the last few days is slowly filling up a 35g rubbermaid with water, so that when I do need it I don't have to wait to make it...When I get it filled should I mix the salt with it, or should I just leave the salt out, and add salt to it when I'm ready to add to the DT?

Last edited:
It would be fine to add more LR now. Anytime you add LR, you have a chance of setting off a mini cycle because there will be things that die off between your LFS and home. If you add a little at a time, the chances are less. If you add it now, it probably wont have much effect on the cycle.

I say since it is on sale, get it now so you can save a few bucks.

As for the RO/DI unit, you might need a little booster pump to bring the preasure up to a high input preasure. Your house preasure might be too low.

when you start a saltwater tank the cycle goes your ammonia and nitrite will go hay wire than ofter about 2 weeks your ammonia and nitrite will drop and your nitrate will go up slowly and when that goes up you will have to do a water change and that would be the end of the cycle but i would not reccomend am expensive fragial fish or coral because you have a chance that u might have a small mini cycle that will kill expensive fish i recommend some gobys or clown fish to start out with.

Thanks for the input everybody.....All I have in my tank is water, sand, rock...No livestock at all. Don't need to be killing anything.

I did a test yesterday and this morning....mostly I'm just testing for Ammonia at this point because I know it has to drop significantly for the first part of the cycle. Last night I did an Ammonia and Nitrite Test.

Ammonia is at roughly .2ppm
Nitrite is is approx. 1.5ppm

I'm using the Marine Labs test.

Colors- Ammonia is green but not deep green
Nitrite is bluish purple.

You can see the color on my Tank build thread if you'd like.

+1 Bj
You can go ahead and add more rock.Or you can hold the rock in a rubbermaid with saltwater and a powerhead until the tank cycles.
I doubt it would matter either way.

Back