No idea what these are. Maybe you can help me.

Gigaah

Reefing newb
I found these cropped up on a piece of bleached coral my mother got me from her vacation. It since has taken on coraline algae and a few sponges that are prolific in my tank. However today I noticed these things. No clue what they are.

Pictures courtesy of Canon and Ziplock.

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 281
I have must have a hyroid utopia. These particular ones seem to be contained to this one rock. I think I'll take care of the situation right now. The other hyroids I have aren't going away but are not posing much problem. These ones since I can i won't take a chance on. I've seen lots of pictures of hyroids on sponges..I got lots of sponges too. wonder if the situations are interconnected. Both seem to be thriving.

At this point I think I might have to determine what the exermination options are. I can transport my urchines, snails, star and crabs to another tank if treatment is required. I'd hate to lose my sponges..but if these get out of hand I'll have to come up with a plan. Its obvious to me from the other hyroids i have that these will thrive and not dissapear.

Upon further inspect they are not contained to this one rock. They appear to collect in the same area the sponges like. Is it possible i'm lucky enough that these are some sort of new sponge growth..prolly not but I can only hope.

Last edited:
Back