No Lights For 3 Days!

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
i have been battling with algae in my tank for over 2 months. i did water chages every wee for a month and that didin't work. even tried vacuming the sand to n avail. so i came accross a thread about turning lights off for 3 days to eliminate algae. my algae was caused by an additive i used in my tank. it is the tropic marine pro k and a elements. it does works, it brings the color of your corals out but with it it brings algae out too. i have brown on my sand but some reported that they have dinos. at first i was so hessitand to do this but after doing all sorts of thing to get rid of the algae with no results i decided to give it a try. turned off the main tank lights at night when the lights goes off but left my fuge light on (which is 24/7) and the night lights also on. after 72 hours i turned the switches on and waited untill the following day. i was surprised how my sustrate looked. it looks like it was being washed a number of times. clear and white with no algae on site. this method works.:^::^::Cheers::Cheers::bounce::trampolin :beerchug: :beerchug::claphands:claphands :goldfish: :goldfish: :bouncycig

Glad things worked out.If I ever have that problem,I'll keep that in mine.I assume your happy with all those emoticons.

Congrats and good luck

You could probably go a week without light Newb.In the real world,there are times it'll stay cloudy for several days at a time.Some times weeks.
The longest I ever went without lights is a week,But as soon as the light came on every thing was out and happy.

cool, i new that the real ocean was inconsistent as far as storms and such but wasn't sure if that applied to tank raised corals and fish. do you carry on with the normal feeding routines? im in the middle of an algea bloom, maybe i'll have to try this.

I didnt Newb,When I had to leave my 30 dark,I didnt even feed it.All I did was top it off every day to keep the salinity right.

I have read that it works wounders but hav'nt felt the need to try it yet. I'm glad it worked out for you, and thanks for letting us know your results.

hmmmmm I wonder if it would rid my horrible hair algae problem I have been bttling on a couple rocks... last water change I scrubbed the rock and only reduced it about 50 percent..... hmmm I might have to try it. it would be like a super long free for all for my copeopods with no lights

i didn't feed the tak while there are no lights but i did feed it before i flip the switch and after the cycle.

i don't know if it will take care of the algae for that short period of time, but i know it will work if it's longer. how i know it because a friend of mine just re did his tank and experienced green hair algae bloom and turned of his lights for a month and it did eliminate the algae.

you could try tang to help your hair algae.

i've read about this thought about trying it, now that someone has and succeeded guess its my turn. I have been running halides only 6 hours a day and on sunday run pc lights only no halides.

...Speaking of sea hares Yote... While I was on vacation my beautiful Jessica passed. I found her, shrunken down to half her original size, white in color, head sucked up into the powerhead. My tank's pH was at 7.0. :(

...Speaking of sea hares Yote... While I was on vacation my beautiful Jessica passed. I found her, shrunken down to half her original size, white in color, head sucked up into the powerhead. My tank's pH was at 7.0. :(

Dang Biff.What kinda power heads are you running? My Hare crawls all over my PHs,even the Koraila, and dont have a bit of trouble.

Back