Noob Mistake (I think)

robinsf

Reefing newb
Hello all. I'm new to the group.

Although I've had FOWLR salt water setups for a while now, I've decided to try my hand at reefing. My water quality has always been good, so I figured, why not?

I have a couple of roomates. And they take an active role in helping out, which is good because I travel a lot. I just got back from a trip, and found this purple streak in the new reef tank.

I questioned my roommates and it turns out that one of them bought a sea slug. Based on the description, I "think" it was Hypselodoris apolegma. It was purple with orange appendages on its back. Gills I'm assuming. My best guess is that it got sucked through a blower.

I immediately dropped activated carbon pack into the sump because I've read that slugs sometimes contain toxins which can poison entire setups.

But the two clown fish seem fine. They are as active as ever. The corals don't seem to be looking bad. How stressed out should I be over this? I've pulled out what remains I can find but there didn't seem to be enough to match the description of the original animal.

(And yes, the roommates have been thanked for their assistance, but have been asked to clear all future purchases through me first.)

Weclome to the forum and congrats on your first post. That is a beutiful nudibrach you got; too bad it didn't make it.

Daugherty has you covered though. From what I understand some nidubrachs have toxins in their skins. Large water changes are going to be your best friend here. Also, make sure that H2O is forced through your activated carbon. Carbon is more effective this way, rather than allowing the H2O to travel around it.

Keep us posted on the statuts of your lifestock. Good luck!

Thanks daugherty and Navarchus. Yeah, I just dropped the carbon into the sump for temporary. I have an old phosphate scrubber that I've got to locate and set up. I'll fill it with the carbon and let it do its thing.

How long ago did this happen? If it's been a couple days and you still haven't seen any ill effects, then it's pretty safe to say that you're out of the woods at this point!

It apparently happened last night. They said the slug had pretty much parked itself directly in the water current against the front glass. And then this morning when I got home, I found him partially entangled in one of my blowers with pieces on rocks, etc. So sometime in the last 14 hours or so.

I would do a 20% water change and watch things closely and be ready to do another water change if needed. With a larger tank I doubt you will see any effects of the sea slug.

Welcome to the forum.

welcome aboard. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'd be mixing some salt water or take a trip to the LFS to get some so that you can do a bigger water change if needed. If everything is still doing ok by tomorrow, you should be fine. Most importantly though don't panic. Most mistakes in this hobby are made in haste.

I've already picked up 15 gallons of salt water so as soon as it's up to temp, we'll be doing a 30% change. Another 30% tomorrow, and another 30% on Thursday, and I'll be done. Probably overkill, but the amount of toxins in the water after that will be extermely low.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we are past the danger point now. The protein skimmer pulled out a lot of material in the last 24 hours. And with a 30% partial water change, all observable parameters being where they need to be, and happy and hungry fish, I am breathing a sigh of relief. I still intend on doing one more water change, but I think I've dodged a bullet here.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Rob

One other thing you could is to soak your fishes food in garlic extract and vitamins before you feed them just to help boost their immune systems.

Back